Saturday, October 21, 2017

Pink And Yellow Skies, Quiet Lake


6:49 (notice the evening star, Venus, reflected in the lake)

7:15

7:16


7:55
 Woke at 6:00, wondered if I could get back to sleep but thought, hey, I want to get up in time to see the morning sky, a good choice, as it a vast canvas of a light orange sherbet, with a few waves of gray clouds at 7:00.  And Click And Clack have been replaced after forty or fifty years on NPR by Marketplace Weekend, quite a contrast.  It's a chilly 43º at 7:30  and I am waiting for the sunrise before I put on an extra fleece before I go kayaking.  I'm back and was able to photograph a raft of at least 50 coots over along the Long Point shoreline.

Raft Of Coots
Coot Up Close

Who Is Thie Guy/Girl?

Yesterday was another amazing Fall day on the lake.  I have rarely seen it so calm, ripple less, just one vast glass table.  It was perfect for kayaking, so I was out early, met our neighbors, Jeff and Nancy, also out to enjoy the morning.  When I got back, I had breakfast and Evie had decided to work on the bookcases, taking out all the book, dusting them, Milsek-ing the shelves.  We worked for about 30 minutes when we decided it was nuts to stay inside on a morning like this, so we both went outside and paddled off for an hour or kayaking, both of us taking photographs of whatever wildfowl we could find.  I had seen a different kind of duck earlier in the morning, swimming in front of our house, diving every 30 seconds so that I could not get a good picture of him but I thought he was our first sighting this fall of a coot.  Well, we were able to get a couple of more photos of coots on our paddle, so we are pretty sure it was a coot I saw. 
Another Old Coot
When we got back, we intended on starting once again on the bookshelves but Evie wanted to polish the copper first so I had my lunch, a leftover hoagie and watched more of Narcos.  Just as I finished, I got a call from our boat guy, Chris, to say my boat was ready and he had removed all the seats so that I could take them to the upholsterer.  Although I was less than enthusiastic about driving off it was something I really needed to get done.  I drove down to the northern end of the lake, filled my Outback to the brim with boat seats and drove 20 miles to the Millers, an Amish family who makes boat covers and upholsters seat covers. 

Pot Of Gold Pot Bellies Chocolate Milk
I dropped the seats off, told Mr. Miller I would pick them back up in December and took a long way home, through the Pennsylvania town of Sugar Grove, so I could pick up a half gallon of Pot Of Gold milk and a Pot Bellie of chocolate milk for Evie.  I was gone close to two hours.

Long Point Fall Colors
When I got home, one of the bookshelves was done and Evie was putting the finishing touches on an eggplant moussaka having baked the eggplant, added the tomatoes and a white sauce for the topping.

It was a warm and beautiful evening, so we decided to have a Manhattan on the porch with appetizers, enjoy the late afternoon sun highlighting the trees on Long Point but after forty-five minutes, we went inside as the sun had dipped behind us and the porch became chilly. 

Long Point Fisherman
We had fun listening to music on Apple Music, as Evie was the disc jockey.  Around 7:30, we pulled the moussaka out of the oven and had dinner and tried to find something to watch on TV. 

#NORECIPENEEDED 
We ended up switching back and forth between a couple of cooking and home improvement shows whenever a commercial came on.  We were both tired and going up to bed sounded good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...