Tuesday, February 15, 2022

More Than Cold: 3º

Long Point Photo From Our Dining Room

7:20

7:25

It's sunny on Chautauqua Lake, the sky clear, the sun high in the sky, filling our living room with light. I sit here with my baseball cap on, enjoying the papers online and writing this blog. Evie just came downstairs, made her coffee, and is on her device as she's not ready to talk. And surprisingly, despite the cold, I count seven tents out fishing this morning.  Hardy souls.

Yesterday was another boring day, as we spent much of the day waiting to go out for Valentine's Dinner at our friends, Linda and Ron's house.  We woke with little if anything on our agenda which was nice but also boring.  For Evie, however, there's always something she can do so she spent some of the morning making her vegetable soup. By 10:00, I was ansty and despite the cold, I ventured out on the lake, hoping to get in some cross country skiing but the wind chill must have been around 0º and it was unbearable skiing north into the wind.  I lasted 20 minutes before hanging it up and skiing home. Because I could not get in more than twenty minutes of skiing, I decided to spend forty-five minutes with Yoga With Adriene to get in my health fix.

Cross Country Skiing North

Sun And Clouds In Southern Sky

By 12:30, I  had enough exercise and was ready for lunch and Evie made me a quesadilla and heated up a bowl of her soup.  I watched The Sopranos and am about to end Season Two, as Tony's sister murders her fiancee for hitting her in the face in anger. At least Tony won't have to whack him now.  I then spent the afternoon finishing my book The Latinist, one of those books that have just enough meat in it to keep you going.  I was then at a loss as to what to read and went to a couple of libraries and downloaded two or three books to try. I ended up starting another 'gals book' called The Paper Palace and am into it.  

Ice Fishing On A Sunny Afternoon

Late Afternoon Blue

By 5:30, we were both ready to drive to Linda and Ron's, stopping first in Mayville to pick up a prescription for Evie. Linda welcomed us with a specialty cocktail called On Second Thought which all four of us loved, with cherry heering, calvados,  Benedictine, maple syrup, and lemon.  It tasted like a whiskey sour only better.  We had a great brie with blue cheese to go along with our cocktail and spent happy hour talking about our health.  How boring can we get?  

Valentine's Day Dinner

Dinner was restaurant quality, with filets with a mushroom and cream sauce, roasted potatoes, and a salad with blue cheese dressing. Yum. We left the table so full we could hardly make it to the couch for our dessert, Linda's homemade strawberries dipped in chocolate. It was a fun way to spend Valentine's Day and we did not miss going out to a restaurant.  We were home by 10:00, tired but happy after such a fun night.



2 comments:

  1. I just finished “Bewilderment” by Richard Powers. I thought it was very good. Was one of 2021 National Book Award finalists.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...