Sunday, September 1, 2019

Evie's Treasure Box


Eliza, Frankie, And Claire

6:38

8:30
It's a cloudy morning, a breeze is picking up, it's 7:00 and I have been up for an hour.  The lake is basically empty, with sounds in the distance of honking Canadian geese.  It's a strangely quiet Labor Day Weekend.  I paddled mostly along Woodlawn and Victoria because of the wind and dark skies, not wanting to get too far away if it rained.  Other paddlers were out as well, enjoying the cool but overcast morning on the lake.

Kayak Morning
Morning Heron
Yesterday was the kind of Saturday we love, perfect for the lake, for football, for just plain hanging out.  The day began with kayaking, then some work around the house, getting the trash ready for the Transfer Staton.  I have to laugh about that because we watched a movie last night where the main character admitted to his privileged school friends that on Saturday's he took the trash to the Transfer Station, to the amazement of the preppies.  So after trash, I decided to go for a bike ride, Evie to putter in her garden and enjoy the sun on the dock.

Lucy Statue In Celeron, Her Home Town
I drove to Celeron, about 20 minutes from here, where the Lucy Ball statue sits, a draw for Lucy fans.  I wanted to try what Jamestown calls its Riverwalk which supposedly begins on the road in Celeron.  It's a two-lane road, some traffic, but enough of a berm for biking.

The Swamp's Open And Dry
It passes basically swamplands, with water on either side of the road and The Swamp, Jamestown version of a dive, a deep dive.

Chadakoin River
I rode to Mc Crea Park, then literally along the Chadakoin but behind buildings to the 3rd Street Bridge where I  stopped because I would be riding downtown. I then backtracked and road on a new asphalt path around the lake to the eastside, ending up in Greenhurst, behind the Subaru dealer.  That was where the path ends, so I headed back to Celeron and my car.

Riverwalk Path Heading Towards Greenhurst
I was home around 1:00, had a lunch of a bagel, with cream cheese and tomatoes and watched my show. I fell asleep reading my new book, ORDINARY GRACE, as Evie enjoyed the side yard reading.  I was reading on the porch when our neighbor's granddaughters came by to get a 'treasure' from Treasure Chest, something they have done for the last couple of years and our grandchildren have done for the past twenty years at least.  While they were going through the chest, our other neighbors, Bud and Debi, brought their grandsons over for the first time.  All were cute and excited to find something they liked, even two or three things they liked because Evie is easy.  Evie refurbishes the Treasure Chest each winter with valuables from friends, family, and the Dollar Store.

Bud, Debbi, Arlo, And Louie
Around 5:00, we had a brief Woodlawn neighborhood meeting, filling us in on the recent happenings in the neighborhood, the fixing of potholes in the road and a part of the creek that had caved in.  Earlier, Evie had prepped our dinner, my favorite, Greek lemon chicken, so while we enjoyed some wine, the chicken baked, the rice cooked and Evie made a lemon gravy for the chicken. Dinner was great, straight out of Greek taverna, except for the rice which you would not find in Greece, usually some form of lemon potatoes I suppose.  And we watched an old movie from 1992 called School Ties, set in a prep school in the 1950s, where antisemitism is rampant and a young Jewish student, recruited to play football must deal with the consequences of this prejudice.  We both liked it enough to stick with it to the end although it was a bit overdone and exaggerated in some scenes at the prep school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...