Thursday, September 12, 2019

Darkness At 6:00


6:43

Home At 6:44 AM
Home, 12/9/18
It's 6:00 and I have been up for forty-five minutes, alas, as I wait for some semblance of light on the lake.  It feels like the darkness of a winter morning when the sun does not rise until 8:00 although it rises today around 7:00.  It's wet out as we received over an inch of rain last night.  I have finished writing this draft and it's only 6:40, still too dark and gray and wet to think about kayaking.

Kayak Morning

A Regular
Yesterday morning was a waste because I spent a good hour and a half at the dentist's, prepping for a crown.  After the fun, I stopped at Peterson's Farm Market for another basket of peaches, then Brigotti's Grocery for eggplant and veggies, and finally Wegman's to pick up a few things for our dinner with our neighbors, Ken and Marjorie.  I was in and out quickly and on my way home, stopping at a stand to pick up some corn, already tired from getting up so early.  When I drove in, Evie was out cutting the grass despite the 80ยบ weather.  While she worked up a sweat, all I wanted to do way lay down which I did and even fell asleep.  I woke just as Evie was making my lunch, a couple of cheese sandwiches, topped with Wegman's jam of course.  I watched my show, did some reading and tried to nap but was not successful. 

Neither of us did much the rest of the afternoon because of the heat and humidity.  It was too uncomfortable on the dock or in the side yard so we mostly stayed inside, with Evie prepping some for our Turkish dinner.  Because it was warm, I decided to get some lake work done, so I jumped in the water and pulled out a couple of buoys that we no longer need.  The anchors are fairly heavy so I had my wheelbarrow out on the dock to bring them into the shore.  And thus begins the slow taking in of summer stuff and putting it away, readying for fall and winter. 

Because we were eating outside, I cleaned up the outdoor furniture as Evie prepped the salad and pita bread.  I grilled the koftes around 5:30 before our neighbors arrived and once they were done, we put them in the oven to stay warm. Ken and Majorie arrived at 6:00, bearing a nice bottle of Prosecco which we promptly opened, the cork flying off into the back yard.  We sat on the front porch with our wine and appetizers and it was pleasant as the heat let up some. 

Dinner Al Fresco With Neighbors
It was a perfect night for eating outside, a light breeze, no insects, and a great meal of pita bread, topped with koftes, homemade tomato sauce, and thick yogurt.  The salad, with fresh corn, was also delicious.  Luckily, just as we were finishing, it began to drizzle, so we quickly cleared the table and came inside and sat on the porch.  We finished the night with Nora Ephron's peach pie, Evie's best effort yet.  I was too full unfortunately to have a second piece.  Because of the rain and lightning, I drove our neighbors down the street to their home,   We then did up the dishes, leaving the kitchen nice and clean, then watched a Colbert and some news before going up to bed. 


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...