Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Heating Up

6:34

6:36

7:08
I was up at 5:15 for some reason and it's 71º now, 20º warmer than a couple of days ago,  Perhaps it's the beginning of an Indian Summer.  I have another dentist appointment this morning at 8:00 so I won't be kayaking, alas.  What a way to start the day, with the dentist.

Yesterday was a surprisingly warm day, with temperatures reaching the 80's.  Kayaking was fine, still cool and breezy on the lake. After kayaking, I went to yoga for the first time in a week, a good class of five of us.  It felt good to get back in a routine.  I stopped for a coffee, then the bank, and finally ended up at Wegman's on a crowded Tuesday, a 5% off day for seniors.  For the first time, I decided to leave my wallet in the car since I pay with my iPhone so why bring my wallet.  Well, I found out why when I tried to buy a 12 pack of beer and could not prove I was over 21 and had to put it back. Perfect.  I stopped for more corn on the way home since we have been enjoying it almost every night and Evie is freezing it as well.

It was warm by the time I returned home and Evie, after making up tomato sauce to freeze, was ready to head out to the dock to enjoy the sun for the first time in a week.  I had the leftover eggplant pasta for lunch, watched my show and took a brief nap.  And after the nap, I finally got around to gassing up my boat something I usually hate because standing waist-deep in the lake and lifting the five gallon gas can to shoulder height, has always been an arduous task, increasingly so as I get older.  Well, enter a siphon, suggested to me by my neighbor.  So I set the five-gallon jug on the dock, put the hose in the boat, dipped the other end a couple of times in the gas can and viola, the gas began filling the boat.  It's only taken me 12 years to figure out an easy way to gas up my boat.  Within five minutes, I put in ten gallons of gas and my boat is ready for the rest of the month. 

By 3:30 I was ready to do something so I drove off to the Chautauqua Institution and rode my bike around the grounds for forty-five minutes, an easy ride, as I rode up and down the various streets and around the entire grounds, getting in enough exercise but not overdoing it on a humid and hot afternoon.  When I came home, it was wine time on the front porch, with pretzels and dip, surprisingly tasty and easy.  Evie had prepped some of the dinner but around 6:30, she baked the salmon, made the rice, microwaved the corn, and sauteed the garlic spinach.  This has become a weekly dinner, healthy and tasty.  We watched a Colbert, then a new series on Netflix, The Spy, based on an Israeli spy who infiltrated Syria in the 1960s, starring Sasha Baron Cohen.  It's pretty good and his training mirrors the training of another Isreali spy in the book I am now reading by David Silva called The Black Widow.  It's interesting how much training goes into making a spy, turning them into an entirely different person, erasing the former self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...