Friday, September 13, 2019

A Cool, Gray Dahlia Morning


Scarlett

Soft Pink

Deep Pink
6:49
Well, I slept in till 6:15 so I am filled with energy this morning, just kidding.  I am listening to Bill Simmons after a few minutes of Morning Joe's take on last night's debate. I am bored with it all.  Let's just have an election and get rid of Trump although NYTimes columnist Frank Bruni says we will never get rid of Trump.  He's probably correct.  I had a rough paddle this morning over to Tom's Point, an easy one home because I stuck close to the shoreline.

Kayak Morning

My Morning Heron Fix
Yesterday was back to normal, sort of, with an early morning paddle, a few good photographs, then breakfast with the guys at a new venue because our go breakfast spot was being renovated.  I had one egg, scrabbled and two buttermilk biscuits, brining home one for Evie.  Yoga was crowded so I had to go in the front row.  My yoga mat was missing because someone had taken it by mistake.  I was able to find it because my mat is extra-long,  She apologized, and we exchanged mats and both were happy. I stopped at Aldi's on the way home, to pick up a few items for the weekend, feta cheese, salmon, things like that.  I am getting to like Aldi's more and more especially since Sam's Club closed.

Evie had been out working in the garden because of the cool weather, deadheading and weeding, as everything still looks great. I was not very hungry so I opened a can of pea soup from Aldi's thinking it might be really good.  It wasn't, just average.  I then started a new book THE RUSSIAN, about the Russian mafia's take over of our cities until a Jack Reacher like character gets involved.  Evie, however, decided to get in some dock time despite the cool weather, bundled up, with a fleece and a blanket but the wind was too much so she had to come in.

The afternoon seemed to go quickly perhaps because I was tired and took an hour nap,.  Before long, it was 5:00 and we were sitting on the front porch having a glass of wine and munching on some stale pretzels. The onion dip helped some.  We were hungry so Evie grilled a couple of steaks, steamed the corn, made a salad and pulled the baked potatoes out of the oven around 6:30.  I forget she also sauteed some mushrooms, so we had a steak house dinner, just cheaper and better.  We watched two more episodes of THE SPY  on Netflix and we both are into it.  We ended the night with the Democratic debate, more of the same and not very riveting.  None have the charisma needed to really grab the public.  Still, almost anyone of them is preferable to Drumpt.

From today's Writer's Almanac, one of my favorite poems:

Funeral Blues
by W.H. Auden
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.
Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crêpe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.
He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.
The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...