Wednesday, July 10, 2019

That Morning Sun

6:14

6:15
Another morning of sunshine, filling the lake and our living room with light.  It's 6:30 and our neighbors are out skiing on the lake.  A few fishing boats are out, too, trolling for walleyes.  I was up again at 5:30, to the sounds of a frog I assume, bellowing away.  It's a chilly 61º but should get up in the 80's in the afternoon.  I kayaked over to Tom's Point (23 minutes), then back along the shore, catching a couple of herons, one perched in a tree, the other hiding in the reeds.  A good morning paddle.

Kayak Morning

In The Trees

In The Reeds

A Young Wood Duck
Yesterday was a good day for both of us, as we kept busy, got things done but also had time to enjoy the afternoon.  I kayaked early, then went to yoga class, stopping for a coffee, then the hardware store.  When I returned home, Evie was talking with her sister, Claire, who lives in Gilbert, AZ, one of the fastest-growing towns in the US.  She also spent the morning working in her garden, which needed weeding after all the rain this past week, a real neverending tale.  Before lunch, I took the cover off my boat, to dry it out, then spent a good forty-five minutes cutting weeds from around our dock, getting it ready for the arrival of our family in less than three weeks.  For lunch, I heated up my white bean stew, just what I have been hankering for, and watched my show before reading, then napping.

Yarrow
Around 3:00, I joined Evie on our dock and read my book for a while until I got bored and went back into the water and cut more weeds.  I felt like Sisyphus, pushing his rock up the hill know it would only come tumbling back down.  Cutting weeds is like that as they grow back as quickly as I cut them.  Around 5:00, we decided to cruise Bemus so Evie packed a couple of beers and some pretzels and we cruised the lake for an hour on a beautiful late afternoon.

Irises
When we returned, Evie had already breaded the Wienerschnitzel and put potatoes in the oven to bake, so all she had to do was fry the Wienerschnitzel and make a salad and we had a great dinner.  Nothing like schnitzel, a baked potato with butter and sour cream, a salad, homemade applesauce and a glass of white wine.  We channel surfed for a while before settling on a documentary from HBO called I LOVE YOU, NOW DIE, about a tragic suicide, in 2014, by an 18-year-old teen, aided and abetted by his girlfriend's text messages.  It received national attention back in 2016 but I don't remember it.  It raises the question as to whether a person can be held responsible for the suicide of another.  The girl was convicted of involuntary manslaughter, guilty of texting him, encouraging him to end his life. The film includes the young man speaking about his depression, his loneliness and fears, the most moving part of the film because the viewer can see his pain. The second and final episode airs tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...