Monday, July 22, 2019

Morning Gray Is Back


7:31
 It's 6:55 and I have been up for an hour, to a quiet morning on the lake, not a boat, kayak, or skier yet.  We received a touch of rain overnight, just in case we missed having it rain every day.  It looks like it's beginning to cool off and by the time our kids get here, the weather should be sunny with highs in the 70's, perfect.  I started my morning kayaking in the rain, finished in the rain.  I did get a good photograph of a heron and as I paddled, I listened to our favorite Avett Brothers album, Magpies and Dandelions.

Kayak Morning
Mom And Her Ducklings

Old Guy Perched In A Tree Overlooking The Reeds
Yesterday was a Sunday to remember, lots of sunshine, warm, but also a nice breeze so we could enjoy being outside on the dock.  It did get into the '80s and Evie looked drenched with sweat after cutting the lawn late morning but she did spend the afternoon on the dock, loving it.

I started the day with a long paddle, as always, a good way to begin a Sunday, in my church.  We had planned on a busy Sunday, so after finishing breakfast and the blog, we both got busy upstairs, getting the blue and orange rooms ready for the arrival of our kids.  It's not that difficult, just dust, make the beds, vacuum, and clean out the closets so there's room for kids.  Once that was done, I moved a chair out in the front yard and Evie gave me a quick shearing, so I look more presentable, a difficult task.  Once that was done, I went for a swim and Evie powered up the mower and cut the lawn, finishing around noon.  I watched in awe as the 80º weather had no effect on her mowing.  I am a lucky guy.

We decided to forego our big breakfast, mostly because neither of us was hungry and Evie was ready to hit the dock.  So I watched the last two holes of the British Open and made myself a lunch of eggplant and tomato sandwiches on a bagel, just as good as the night before.  Eggplant is a perfect substitute for meat as Turks know because they have hundreds of recipes using eggplant.  I then read some, briefly napped, then went out and got rid of the weeds which were sitting on the dock, drying.  I then joined Evie for a half hour before jumping in the water and working on the weeds in the areas where we will be swimming.  Neighbors and passing boats must look at me as the crazy old guy on the lake.  Once I finished, I took the weeds and deadfall up the hill to the woodpile, then returned and took a shower, a good way to brighten an afternoon.

Around 4:00, Evie put our dinner, a duck in the oven then went back out to enjoy the dock before taking a swim and washing her hair in the lake.  We decided to have a Manhattan night on our porch so I made the drinks, and Evie opened up a bag of Cape Cod potato chips, our new favorite.  It was a fine night to sit on the porch, as the lake traffic settled down.  It was Sunday evening when all the weekenders heading home, leaving the lake to us.

We ate dinner around 7:30, the duck, unfortunately, despite the orange sauce and following the directions was dry.  Evie even pulled it out early and cooked it at a lower temperature.  Go figure.  We watched Chris Wallace interview the White House's top evildoer, Stephen Miller.  What a worm, as he tried to wiggle his way out of his racist, xenophobic beliefs. It was a good way to pass the time as we waited for the last episode of BIG LITTLE LIES at 9:00.  (SPOILER ALERT) And we were not disappointed with the end, as Mary Louise (Meryl Streep) received her comeuppance, as Celeste gets to keep her children after a dramatic court scene.  For the most part, the series had a happy ending and we both got goosebumps at the final scene, as Zooey decides to admit the truth, that she pushed Perry down the steps and she is joined by her four girlfriends and the five of them enter the police station together and the series ends.  Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...