Sunday, July 21, 2019

Heat Wave (Martha And The Vandellas 1963)

6:09

6:17
A sunny and close morning at 6:15 as the sun has burst above the clouds sending me inside to sit on the couch.  I was awakened at 4:00 by a house shaking thunderstorm.  It hit the south side of our house, like a wave but lasted for only five or ten minutes but dropping a half-inch of rain.  I got up, went downstairs and moved the porch furniture to stop it from getting wet. Fortunately, I was able to get back to sleep until 6:00, waking once at 5:00.  I got in a paddle, over to Long Point, hugging the western shore so I could be in the shade, to Warner Bay, then across to Magnolia and home, about 70 minutes of kayaking on an increasingly warm morning.  I listened to Jack Johnson, mellow and cool, perfect for kayaking,.

Kayak Morning 7:45

Kayak Morning 8:32
Yesterday was not as hot as advertised although the temperature did get up to 88º here.  We did take it easy, with no big projects other than for Evie to get a couple more things made to be frozen for next week when our kids arrive.  She was done making hanky pankys and breaded some eggplant cutlets for our dinner by 11:00.  We then cleaned up the kitchen, the refrigerator and I drove off to the Transfer Station, to drop off the trash and see if any of the guys wanted a rocking chair we wanted to get rid of.  When I left, one of them was sitting in it rocking. 

Evie's Dahlias Bloometh
For lunch, Evie had made me some salmon cakes from leftover salmon, fried them up and I had great sandwiches, with mayo and hot sauce and I watched my show.  I turned on the air and went upstairs to take a quick nap while Evie relaxed in the house, avoiding the hottest part of the day.  Around 4:00, I went out and did some weeding in the lake and Evie joined me on the dock.  It was actually pleasant out on the dock, under the umbrella with a decent breeze.  Around 5:30, I went in and got us a beer and we sat out on the dock until we decided to finish our cocktail hour on our front porch.  Evie then fried up the eggplant cutlets and made us sandwiches for dinner, easy and good,  We watched a movie on Apple TV called THE HISTORY BOYS (with a young James Corden), based on a play by British playwright, Alan Bennett.  It takes place in an English boarding school where the boys are being prepared for the entrance exams to Oxbridge.  It's a feel-good movie for the most part, humorous and witty, with lots of dialogue.  As usual, the headmaster is an ass, the masters are beloved (and gay), often duped by the boys.  I did not like it as much as I thought I would but I would give it a strong B. 

This morning I was listening to a Bill Simmons podcast.  It usually talks basketball but at the end of this podcast, three of them discussed their favorite TV shows.  And they mentioned something I liked called Netflix Cheating where one of a couple cannot wait to watch an episode of a series and watches it without the other.  It's happened.  And all of them talked about the problems of either the husband or wife not liking a series when the other one does, It's happened, And I was surprised to hear all three of the group watch with their phones in hand to surf when the show gets to a boring part.  I don't but Evie does. Enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...