Wednesday, October 31, 2018

A Surprisingly Warm And Colorful Morning


7:17

7:37

7:38

7:38

8:18
I have been up since before 7:00, walking outside to take another photo of the changing, gray, pink and orange sky.  The stars and moon were out when I first walked out and to my surprise, it was warm, a 51ª.  It looks like we may be able to enjoy the morning but then the rains come in for the next couple of days.  It's after 9:00 and I just returned from kayaking, as the sun came in and out, highlighting the changing colors of fall.

A Solitary Kayak Morning (from Evie's bedroom perch)

The Southern Sky

Long Point

Woodlawn
Yesterday was another day of convalescence for Evie, doing her best to follow the directions of the doctor, to do nothing.  That's the hard part for her, to do nothing, just lay around and don't aggravate the surgery.  She is doing a pretty good job of following the instructions, with my gentle prodding to let me do 'this or that.'  She's used to doing 'this or that'.  It was a pleasant fall-like day,  so I was able to get in an early paddle, crossing the lake to Long Point.

Dahlias Just Cut
Evie stayed upstairs until 11:00, taking it easy in her bed but came down when our new iPhones arrived, courtesy of our son Tommy.  It was exciting for both of us, especially me because this is my first iPhone.  Around 11:30, I drove into Lakewood to pick up a prescription for Evie that the CC's pharmacy was unable to fulfill.  Despite the fact it was a busy Tuesday, I was able to get out of there quickly.  When I returned home, Evie was on Facetime with our grandson, Nick, a junior at the University of Arkansas, in Fayetteville, AK, a great college town.  He was patiently walking Evie through the setup of the iPhone even though she's fairly adept at these type of things.  Then, however, it was my turn and I needed all Nick's help I could get.  He must have been on the phone for almost an hour but by the time he said aloha, we were both ready for iPhone bear.

We then had lunch, soup of course from our good friends, Wendy and Julie, and I had one more meatloaf sandwich.  I began watching the second season of OZARK, catching up on what happened in Season One.  We both then took brief naps, did some reading, and watched the news or other shows because Evie was downstairs for the day

Ready For Mulching
Around 4:00, I fired up the lawnmower again and gave the leaves a good chopping in the front yard where our two maples sit.  And this morning, some 12 hours later, the leaves look like they were never mulched, as the trees keep giving.  I think I might try to mulch them this morning before the rains just to keep up.  It beats raking and is good for the lawn.

After The Mulching
Around 5:30, I relaxed with a beer, Evie with lightly spiked soda water, and we both got dinner ready.  Evie made a salad, cooked the broccoli and heated up the chicken tetrazzini was even better the second night and we both were starved for good veggies, especially Evie's salad with red cabbage and hard-boiled eggs.  We watched Chris Matthews hour-long college visit with Texas senator candidate Beto O'Roarke at the University of Houston.  He's the real thing, charismatic, smart, thoughtful, the antithesis of Trump.  We usually turn off a politician after a few minutes but were glued to the interview for the full hour.  I don't think it's an exaggeration to compare him to JFK or Obama.  He's got it and I think he will be the face of the Democratic party, perhaps their Presidential candidate in 2020.  He so impressed us that we have given money to his campaign in Texas and Evie ordered me a Beto tee shirt last night.

Support Beto!
We ended the night as usual with Stephen Colbert and his humorous analysis of Trump and his sobering comments about The Tree of Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...