Sunday, October 14, 2018

A Chillin' Sunday Morning


6:57

7:47

7:48

It's 7:30 as I start my blog, the gray sky just beginning to show signs of pink over Bemus as the sun attempts to break through the cloud bank.  It looks like a sunny but cool day, high in the 40's, a good day to be outside, even get in an early morning paddle.  I have been up since 6:15, reading and surfing the internet.  It's just after 9:00 and I have returned from a chilly paddle, depressing because there are no waterfowl to speak of other than mallards.  I did hear a loon off in the distance so maybe I will find them in the next couple of days.

Kayak Morning
Yesterday was my first paddle in cold and rainy weather but I liked it.  When I finished, we worked on the blog, had breakfast and began to gather trash for my trip to the Transfer Station, always fun.  We talked, as usual, about what to do about dinner but we decided to wait until later because we were going shopping late mornings. So I drove to the Transfer Station, surprisingly quiet, as most of the summer people have closed up their homes and gone home.  Around 11:00, we drove to Lakewood, to the depressing Chautauqua Mall, to look for shoes for Evie at any of the three shoe stores left.  Of course, I ended up buying a pair of 'cool' Vans, to go with my slip on Van's, and Evie found a comfortable pair of slip-on walking shoes.  We checked out the Sakura Buffet, wondering if we might take out some of its delights for dinner but none looked that appetizing.  So we decided on picking up steaks at Sav A Lot on the way home.

A Hungry Tufted Titmouse
Lunch was leftover Indian food and I am glad it's finally gone. Three times is enough for any dish no matter how tasty.  I then watched some Ohio State football, soon got bored, so I finished my Gabriel Allon novel and started George Pelecanos's newest effort THE MAN WHO CAME UPTOWN.  Of course, I fell asleep reading, woke up after a short nap and came downstairs and Evie was cozy on the couch, with our fireplace on for the first time since last Spring.  It's that time of the year, to get out the fireplace remote! 

Around 4:00, the sun came out, the temperature was in the 40's, so I put on a fleece, my boots and went for a walk in the Victoria/Woodlawn woods, with my weed whacker.  The path is still overgrown in spots, so I walked it, whacking where necessary and now it's good for a walk or cross-country skiing once it snows.

When I came home, the house was nice and warm and Evie was starting to prep the steaks with pepper, lots of it and salt.  She also cleaned the Brussel sprouts and put the potatoes in the oven. We then sat down, enjoyed a glass of wine until the potatoes were about done.  Evie then pulled out the grill pan, grilled the steaks, filling the kitchen with smoke, so we opened a window and both doors to keep the alarm from going off.  The steaks were disappointing, tougher than usual, as were the sprouts but the potatoes were fine.  We watched Real Time With Bill Maher then a new cooking series on Netflix called Salt Fat Acid Heat.  The first episode, Fat, was set in Italy and it was really interesting, mostly about the harvesting of olive oil and the making of parmesan cheese.  The second, Salt, set in Japan was less so.  We ended the night with some news then went to bed early. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...