Sunday, October 7, 2018

A Saturday Of Clam Bakes


Anna, Her Parents, Grandparents, And Uncle

7:08

7:12
It's almost 7:00 as the sky is just starting to lighten, the darkness ebb.  I was up unusually early, at 5:30 so I have been sitting here, reading the New York Times and Washington Post online, both fake news outlets, of course.  I am not sure what today will bring but not the balmy 80º weather of yesterday for sure.  I decided since I was up so early, to go for a spin in my kayak and it was great to be back out there despite the gray, overcast sky.

Julia And Anna

Grandma Els And Anna
A Happy Anna

Walt And Ellen, Proud Grandparents
Saturday was a busy day for both of us.  We got busy early, getting the trash ready for my trip to the Transfer Station and since I was leaving for Euclid at noon, we both took showers and I got ready for the drive.  I was going in for a clambake at my sister Linda's house and Evie, because of the long ride, was staying here at the lake but was also going to a clambake at our neighbors' house, a two clambake weekend so to speak.  On my way to Cleveland, I stopped for gas at the Ohio line, had lunch at Mc Donalds, then drove to Euclid, stopping both at Azman Meats for four six packs of Slovenian sausages and Dave's Grocery for Stadium Mustard.  I arrived early for the clambake because my niece, Julia and her husband, Hampton, were there with their baby daughter, Anna, and I wanted to see them, as well as my sister Ellen, her husband, Walt and son Brooks, all in from the DC area.  Anna was a delight, happy and comfortable with family,  and I got to hold her a couple of times as everyone took turns waiting to hold her.

Lake Erie Sky

Firing Up The Coals In The Rain
It was a strange fall afternoon for a clambake, temperatures in the 80's so all of us were working up a sweat as we set up the bake. And just as the fire was lit, it poured rain for about 20 minutes so the guys had to stand outside, over the fire with umbrellas.  Fortunately, it stopped, the sun came out and it felt like a New Orleans clambake because of the heat and humidity but it was better than rain.  Slowly, the nieces and nephews and grandchildren arrived so that by the time the chowder, clam broth, and bake, were ready to eat, there were 30 of us, quite a gathering.

Clam Bake Boys

Lobsters

More Lobsters With Pat, Danny, And Rich
Clambakes have always been a tradition in my family as my Dad always put them on, starting in the 1950's and my sister Linda and brother in law Rich have continued this traditional over the years. The bake was great, clams, corn, potatoes, chicken and even lobsters this year, with the Mayor's cheesecake for dessert, but seeing all the family once again was the best part.

Anna, The Center Of Attention

Sun's Out

Our Nephew, Pat And His Daughter, Grace

The Happy New Parents
We were able to get dinner in but by 7:30, as the storm clouds were beginning to gather and a few drops of rain were felt, so as everyone started to gather things, I decided I better head home, hoping to avoid the storm.  I hurriedly said my thank yous and goodbyes and drove back to the lake, missing the rain, stopping once at Love's just to stretch my legs.  I was home around 9:30.

While I was in Cleveland, Evie had a nice afternoon, getting rained on a couple of times as she was out for a walk (we got over an inch).

Chautauqua Lake Clambake Crazies
And she went to the Fox/Kinney clambake, our Woodlawn neighbors, for an hour, enjoying their company before going to Joyce and Bill's house, next door, for dinner with them.  Kathy Leonard was here for a visit with her friend Medio so Evie had a fun time getting to know Medio and visit with the family.  So it was a busy Saturday for both of us, two clambakes, lots of rain, family, and friends, the best part of Saturday.

Dinner With The Neighbors
Fortunately, I left Euclid with some of the Mayor's cheesecake, so I ate that as we watched a show before going up to bed,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...