Saturday, October 6, 2018

Coming Rains


7:15

8:20
I have been up for close to an hour and it has just gotten darker, as the clouds and rains have moved in on an uncomfortably warm morning here at the lake.  When I woke, I came downstairs to what I would call an unhealthy sky, gray with a yellow tinge so I knew something was coming, most likely rain and thunderstorms.  And it looks like that's what we will have on and off most of the day.

Friday turned out to be a classic fall day, lots of sun, moderate temperatures, a few falling leaves, a crispness in the air, the kind of weather that makes us want to get outside and work in the yard.  I skipped kayaking and yoga but ended up driving down to Ryder's Cup in Lakewood because the Internet was down from North Harmony all the way to Mayville.  Friends who went out to eat could not use their credit cards, nor the banks ATM's to pay for their meal.  And we were without it through the morning and early afternoon.  We felt at loss without it, no news, TV, music, or pundits.  So we went outside and enjoyed the day.


Dahlias Gone Wild
I didn't get back from Ryder's Cup until 11:30 and Evie already had plans to get the windows washed, again, set up the bird feeders, and mow the lawn.  So I helped wash windows and set up the feeders until lunch time when I had more beans and rice.  And watched LUTHER, finished my Robert Crias novel and started another, MANHATTAN BEACH.  After my nap, I helped Evie with the lawn, edging and weed whacking and I washed off algae on our buoys with a mix of water and bleach using a brush.  And I started thinking about organizing the garage attic, getting ready to put away summer things, creating space by taking out some of the winter stuff, like snow shovels.  Yep, I took down the snow shovels.  As Evie was finishing up, it started to drizzle so I powered up the other mower to get the yard done but the rain stopped as quickly as it started.

6:11 pm
Earlier in the day, Evie had put together a pasta sauce of mushrooms, Italian sausage, and fresh tomatoes so dinner was easy, just boil up some pasta noodles and make a salad.  We decided to sit on the front porch with our wine and appetizers and enjoy the late afternoon.  The sun happened to come out during our wine time, lighting up the colors of Long Point and the Bemus shoreline.  We could see that the trees are just now starting to change colors as fall begins in earnest.  Dinner was perfect, a sausage and mushroom sauce on spaghetti with a salad.  And we watched another Stephen, some news, and a few episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, always fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...