Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Winter In Spring


7:42
I was up at 6:00, ready for a cup of coffee and Morning Joe.  It's now 7:20, the lake wrinkled, as a few ducks float by and the lawn is snow-covered once again.  We are supposed to get some sun later today, then more snow overnight and tomorrow.  Spring appears to have not sprung.

A Raft of Hooded Mergansers Swimming in the Snow
Yesterday was another cold and wet day, with occasional snow on and off, so that by mid-afternoon, we probably got five or six inches of snow, with more predicted.  I did go to yoga yesterday and had to clear ice off of my car's windshield before driving off to Lakewood.  Heck, it's April 17th, not January 17th!  We had a good yoga class and I was tres careful to avoid anything that might stress my sore rotator cuff.  Yep, it's been bothering me for the past week, just another in the long list of ailments this winter.  I stopped for coffee at Ryders Cup and sat down and talked with Dave, a regular, for about 15 minutes, an interesting guy.  He lives about five houses down from the coffee shop and appears to spend a good part of his day sitting in the coffee shop and I have never seen him drink anything.  It's a good thing it's not a Starbucks or he might be asked to leave.  I drove home in a light snow and it was not cold enough for the roads to freeze although I heard the rumor that #86 was closed earlier because of black ice.

Spring Snowfall
For lunch, Evie thawed some of her vegetable soup, so I heated that up as she fried up some leftover potatoes and eggs for lunch.  I have yet to decide on a lunchtime series, so I opted for more NBA basketball which I watched on and off much of the afternoon.  I am engrossed in my Maisie Dobbs novel, BIRDS OF A FEATHER, much better than the first one.  And I napped a bit before getting back to my book and more basketball.  The weather was miserable so there was no interest in going for a walk.

We showered around 4:00 because Linda and Ron were picking us up at 5:00.  We were going to see A QUIET PLACE at the Dipson Theater in Lakewood.  We both bought humongous barrels of popcorn and a coke, settled in our seats with perhaps ten others.  Surprisingly, all of us really enjoyed the movie.  It's much more than a scary film and just as much about a family.  It's a very different film in that the characters rarely speak.  Instead, they sign because the aliens, which are attacking the world, are attracted to sounds.  There were some scenes when all four of us jumped, the moment punctuated by loud music in an otherwise silent film.  We would highly recommend it.

We wanted to go to Hog Wild for dinner, a new rib place but the ambiance reminded us of a cleaned out garage. There also appeared to be one gal both cooking, serving and taking orders.  We told her we would be back some other time and drove across the bridge to our old standby, the Seezurh House, for taco night.  They have a new chef or rather an old chef who returned about a month ago and he had dramatically changed the menu, for the better.  Evie and Linda had fish tacos, and Ron and I had pork belly tacos.  All were exceptional and we will be back. They dropped us off around 8:45 in a light snow.  We were able to watch another Colbert and Vice News before tiring and going up to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...