Sunday, April 15, 2018

Windy, Wet, And Chilly


7:29
A morning of raindrops on the windows, a howling wind, a choppy lake and overcast skies.  Not the most inviting of mornings, as kayaking or hiking, seem to be out of this mornings agenda.  It's 32º, and we have both a Wind Advisory and Winter Weather Advisory.  Where went Spring? 

Man, Dog, Canoe, Choppy Lake
Saturday was one of those days that just seem to fly by and before we knew it, it was late afternoon, time to get ready to go out for dinner.  The morning started out well, a calm, inviting lake, a leisurely coffee.  By the time I made up my mind to kayak, however, the wind picked up, discouraging me from venturing forth.  So before I headed to the Transfer Station to take the trash, I decided to do some yard cleanup, mostly gathering all the twigs and branches from the past week of windy days.  I filled a couple of garbage cans, something I seem to do every couple of weeks, and took them up the hill to the woodpile.  Once that was done, Evie had the frig cleaned out and had peeled the oranges and grapefruit, so I gathered all the trash and drove to the Transfer Station because it was another Saturday at the lake.  And that was it for the day, for me.

Evie, however, was busy in the kitchen making a special lemon pot de creme.  It's a touchy dessert, takes great care and alas, it never solidified the way it was supposed to so she has already gotten out the makings for another dessert this morning, a classic from the 1940's called a One, Two, Three, Four Cake.   As Thomas Edison said, "I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Bake On! The afternoon slowly turned gray, with increasing wind, some raindrops as predicted.  I watched some of the NBA playoffs, napped, started another Maisie Dobbs before getting ready for dinner at Steeners Pub in Greenhurst.

Both of us wanted a burger and fries and Steeners is as good a choice as any.  So, despite the ominous warnings about freezing rain, icy roads, downed trees, and no electricity, we braved the roads and were lucky to find a seat at the bar.  We struck up a conversation with a couple who live in Niagara Falls, had just gotten back from Florida, but were working on their Aunt's house in Greenhurst.  They were fun to talk with but had already eaten, so they did not stay long. And by the time our burgers and fries had arrived at 7:00, the once packed bar was practically empty of patrons.  Our burgers were great but the fries were underdone, so Evie talked with Steener and he brought us another basket.  I guess the fryboy is new and has not yet masted the art of a great, hand cut French fry. We were home in our snuggies by 8:00, ready for another relaxing night of TV, like Colbert and Maher.  By 10:30, we had enough and went up to bed to read some. 

A Bit Of Nostalgia:

This photo was taken on the plateau behind our house on the Robert College Campus, overlooking our village of Arnavutkoy and the fogged in Bosphorus, in 1971. Arnavutkoy is a village a few miles down the Bosphorus from Istanbul. 

Our Village Of Arnavutkoy (Armenian Village)



1 comment:

  1. Was googling the question as to whether or not Willa Cather ever spoke at Chautauqua this morning and happened on your wonderful journal here. What a nice surprise. Meg and I live in Indy but are lifelong Chautauquans with an ancient, non-winterized cottage on Miller Park. I have just recently retired--love to bike around the Grounds and --occasionally--around the Lake.
    Like many "lifers" at CI, I was opposed to the rebuild of the Amp. Its rebirth last year was a miracle. Who would have thought it could be done, and in 9 months?
    Re: Willa Cather, I never pursued the query after coming upon your beautiful blog. You have gained a follower, and your posts will help me plot our first Spring drive from Indy to God's Country. Thank you. I hope we'll meet this summer. I started into the Pat Conroy book, My Reading Life, this evening. Thanks for that as well .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...