Thursday, April 19, 2018

A Final Thaw?


6:30

7:00

Long Point
It's 6:40 and I have been up since 6:00, to another gray, overcast morning.  It's 29º and we may have gotten a dusting of snow overnight although some of the snowfall from Sunday had begun to melt. 

Buffleheads Are Back
I went to yoga yesterday at 10:00, determined to keep up my routine despite the fact that I would have preferred to just hang out at home.  I stopped for coffee, bought some eggs (the price has gone up to 2.75), and spent some time talking with Dave and Joyce.  I am getting more social.  I  then drove to Aldi's to see if there were any bargains and picked up a few things for dinner, like lettuce, lemons, and broccoli.  Nothing else attracted me although I picked up 20 pounds of black sunflower seeds for the birds.  

When I got home, Evie was putting together a Senate Navy Bean soup.  Earlier, I had pressure cooked a pound of Great Northern beans in the pressure cooker.  She added some celery, carrots, the liquid from the simmering ham bones and beans and we now have a nice pot of soup. For lunch, we both finished up the vegetable soup, and Evie made us a toasted cheese and ham sandwich.  We ate our lunch watching James Comey interview with Stephen Colbert and found him articulate, thoughtful, and believable, a decent man.   

We spent the rest of the afternoon, as usual, thinking about dinner, watching some TV, reading and napping.  We decided that we wanted scallops for dinner, so around 4:00, Evie started some prepping but didn't get serious about it until after our wine time, at 6:00.  She worked her magic sans recipe and they were perfectly seared, the sauce was silky with a hint of lemon.  Divine.  We watched a bit of the Cavs game, some Colbert, then started a new four-episode series on Netflix called COLLATERAL.  It's pretty good, set in Great Britain, and now that we know how to add closed captioning, it makes the series much more interesting, we don't have to keep asking each other, "what did they say."  We can get everything despite the British accent.   After the second episode, we went up to read some and fall asleep.

1 comment:

  1. Re: James Comey. I was attracted to "A Higher Loyalty" because of the chance to get it instantly on the day of its release via Kindle (and "whispersynch" with Comey reading it, by the way.) I expected a boring, arduous read, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it interesting and even enjoyable. I highly recommend it--got through it in a day and a half. Comey starts from his childhood in Yonkers and finishes with the cowardly firing by DJT as he (Comey) is giving a peptalk to special agents and other bureau employees in LA. I find the man admirable and credible--made more human by this account of himself and his life so far. See what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...