Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Snow...You've Got To Be Kidding Me!


6:20

6:50
 I woke to a morning of white, a wet snow, 30º, and an overcast lake.  It's another gray, gray sunrise, no sense of a sun other than a sky that continues to lighten.  A few ducks have floated by, no doubt regretting their early return to the lake.

Downy Woodpecker At Empty Feeder
Yesterday was another, yes another miserable day.  I was up early and because I was going to Erie for breakfast with friends, I made sure to get the blog done before I left at 9:00.  It was a wet snow drive to Erie and we were eating at Eat And Park, the same place as last fall.  We met John and Tom, two friends who grew up, like Stan and I, in the Cleveland area.  All four of us passed on the buffet, getting the breakfast special instead, a bargain, two eggs, sausage, home fries, and toast.  We retirees always get the deal.  We talked about the good old days, lots of basketball stories, winters spent in Florida,  and what is becoming more common, the death of acquaintances or friends.  This time it was Dave Katz, a Cleveland lawyer, and a basketball player from my alma mater, Ohio University. We spent a good hour over breakfast before heading home but confirming that we would get together again this summer at Chautauqua.

Breakfast With Buddies
When I got home, Evie was busy in the kitchen, going through all the cupboards, cleaning, then organizing, and throwing out things, like three-year-old spices, things like that.  Since I had a late breakfast, I was skipping lunch, to Evie's delight I suppose.  Because of my breakfast in Erie, there was no yoga and because of the cold weather and rain, there was no interest in kayaking or walking.  So I hunkered down with my book, fell asleep but woke up  refreshed with nothing to do, at least nothing that 'I wanted to do.'  So I watched some of the Houston Rockets game that I had saved on our TV and waited for wine time.

Long Point In The Afternoon (calm lake, no ice)
We were able to enjoy our wine and watch the various ducks scurry and float, barely visible in the late afternoon gray.  Earlier, Evie had simmered, then browned some small red potatoes, made some coleslaw and put the ham slices in the oven to warm.  When we finished our wine and ran out of things to talk about, Evie plated our dinner and we watched the 'breaking news' about Fox's Sean Hannity being a client of Trump's lawyer, Michael Cohen.  Nothing or little was said about Syria...old news.  That dominated the news most of the evening except for Fox News which complained about Comey's failure to indict Hillary Clinton, their nightly mantra instead of covering anything having to do with Trump.  We soon turned to a couple of series, watching Homeland, then Billions, a nice respite from the Hannity story.  I was happy to go up to bed to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...