Wednesday, August 30, 2017

The Sun Finally Rises


A Rare Photo Of Two Perched, Migrating, Double Breasted Cormorants

6:54


7:05
Up at 6:00, listening to the news concerning Harvey as the sun took its time to rise above a cloud bank but it finally rose above it about 7:10.  It's now filling our living room with light and soon I will be forced to move to another chair as the sun moves south towards the Fall Equinox on September 22nd.  It's 9:40 and I have been back from a paddle for about a half hour, as we finish the blog.  As you can see, I took a couple of amazing photographs of two Double Breasted Cormorants.  It made my morning.
Kayak Morning

Long Point

Double Breasted Cormorants
Yesterday in contrast to Monday was a good day.  No car trouble for one thing.  So far, the engine light on my Accord has stayed off.  At 9:30, I had a good yoga class, lots of people, a few neophytes which is nice to see.  Afterwards, I decided to drive to Niobe, a small town near the Pennsyvania line, where an Amish family splits the work, the father making canvas curtains and boat covers, the son doing the upholstery businesss.  I wanted to get a second opinion of the cost of both a canvas boat cover and recovering the cushions in my boat.  Well, it was worth the trip as their estimate on both was a third the cost of the previous estimation at a business in Ashville.  Amazing.  So I made a tentative date for both and will wait till we take the boat out of the water at the end of September to get it done.  It's an interesting drive to their house as the macadam road ends about three miles from their houses and it turns to dirt and stone.  I know how to find it as I hang a right at the old Amish School house, with two outhouses sitting behind the school.  I also stopped at Sandy's, a gal from whom we have bought perennials from for the past 25 years.  Her garden appears to be overgrown but she said she still has some perennials left.  Pulling weeds have become too difficult for her and she cannot get her children to help out.  Sad making.

A Lonely, Perhaps Abandoned Baby Purple Martin
When I got home, Evie was off to get her hair done by Jaret and to do some shopping at Sam's and
T. J. Maxx.  So I was on my own for three or four hours.  I heated up my 16 bean soup, toasted a bagel and watched FNL  I then started to water various bushes and trees, going outside to change the hose every ten minutes until I got tired of doing it.  I then read MRS FLETCHER by Tom Perotta, fell asleep briefly, then went out and started to water again.  I figured out a good way to water the garden; sit in one of the chairs in the garden and read, changing the hose every so often.  Around 3:30, Evie returned, so I helped her unload the car and put away things and finished up the watering.

It was still windy and overcast outside, not the kind of weather that beckons to the dock, so we had our wine time inside, listening to the news, enjoying the leisure of late afternoon.  Dinner was tres easy, just heat up the leftover pork chops, ratatouille, and rice, make a salad, steam broccoli and we had dinner.  It was as good if not better than the night before.  We watched a Spanish movie called THE INVISIBLE GARDEN, about a serial killer in Navarre who targets teens.  The female detective in charge also happens to have grown up in Navarre which causes some problems.  It was watchable, perhaps a B or B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...