Sunday, August 20, 2017

Leisurely Sunday


6:35

6:42

6:43

6:44

6:48

6:55
A muted sunrise at 6:37, the sun an orange ball over Long Point but now, at 8:00, it's bright and shiny, above the clouds, making it difficult to look out at the lake.  It's a quiet morning on the lake, a few boats but no action.

Our Most Recent Arrival
Yesterday, a Saturday, is a blur, mostly because neither of us did much.  We had a long, leisurely coffee, trying to decide what to do with ourselves when to get up and start moving.  Finally, we decided to move and Evie cleaned up the kitchen dishes from the previous evening and I got the trash ready to take to the Transfer Station. When I got back, we pumped ourselves up and went kayaking over to Long Point Bay and back despite the threatening skies, arriving home just as it was about to rain, good timing. That was about it for the day.  Around 12:30, Evie asked if I might want a BLT for lunch, a wonderful suggestion as it's about my favorite sandwich, especially with good tomatoes.  So I had one and a half sandwiches, Evie the other quarter and we sat down and started watching another episode of Friday Night Lights, which we had started a month ago with our granddaughter Halle but stopped when the gang arrived.  It's a trip back in time, to a seeming simpler life, when all we had to worry about was the football game on Friday night.  Nostalgia is a dangerous emotion.

Seaplane Landing
After lunch and the TV show, Evie decided that her days on the dock are numbered, summer's waning and it was unusually quiet on the lake, so she gathered her iPhone, book, water, towels, and went out to enjoy the afternoon.  I read for a bit, took a nice nap, again, and then joined her for an hour. We were entertained by a couple of seaplanes, landing and taking off literally in front of our neighborhood.  I soon get bored and wanted something to do, thought of riding my bike but since I got rid of my Pilot, I have no way to take my bike over to Bemus unless I get a bike rack.  So I settled on the couch in the TV room around 4:00 and watched a classic cop show from the 1970's, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, with Gene Hackman and Roy Schneider.  It's still pretty good though dated and probably a film that could not be made today because it's not politically correct.  I got through the famous endless car chase and then had to shower because we were going out to dinner in Jamestown.

Celebrating Our Anniversaries at Brazils
Linda and Ron picked us up just after 6:00, as both of us were celebrating anniversaries and we wanted to do it up right.  So we stopped first at Brazil's Craft Beer And Wine Bar on 4th street, for a beer and a bowl of pretzels, a buck fifty surcharge which miffed me.  They used to be gratis.  We enjoyed our beers, sitting at the bar, before walking over to Forte, Jamestown's best restaurant and got seats at the window in the bar, our usual.  We had the same waitress we have had over the past few years and everyone ordered the bar special, a steak, beer, potato and salad for 14 bucks but me.  I had Stuffed Pork Chop Saltimbocca, with prosciutto, fontina cheese, and sage stuffing.  It looked amazing and was pretty darn good.  I was the envy of the table.   We were home by 9:30, happy with our special night out on 'the town.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...