Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Better Together



6:38

6:39

6:40

6:41

6:47
I slept in if you call getting up at 6:20 sleeping in.  A partly pink sky welcomed me and by 6:40, the orange sphere, similar to yesterday's sun during the eclipse, rose over Long Point, literally directly across from our front door.  I could look at it because of the light cloud cover or haze, which gives it the orange glow rather than blinding light.  It's already a sticky and warm 71º, a harbinger of another hot one.  And the predicted rain will only make it more humid.  It's almost 9:00 and I just returned from a quick kayak paddle.  As I returned, flocks of both purple martins and barn swallows swooped over my head, our dock, both still hanging around until the babies fledge before heading South.  They seem much later this year, perhaps two or three weeks behind.

Morning Paddle To Long Point
Yesterday, despite being the beginning of year 53 together, was fairly normal.  I got in an early kayak then off to Yin yoga with the gang of gals.  Class size is slowly lessening, as the summer wanes.  I had no plans to stop anywhere, unusual, so I came straight home.  And what was Evie going when I got home to celebrate this special day?  Giving the downstairs bathroom a deep cleaning.  Love that girl.

It was a hot and humid day, so much so that neither of us was too keen on going out on our dock to enjoy the afternoon.  As Evie finished cleaning, I heated up my lunch, some leftover garlic spinach, and a kofte, just enough to hold off my hunger.  And I began to watch another episode of FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS.  I think I may have close to 60 episodes to go to finish the series.  It will keep me occupied during lunch for the next month.  I then started to read but quickly fell asleep just after 1:00 since I was up at 5:00.  I was awakened by my phone.  It was my buddy Ron to say that their eclipse glasses had arrived from Amazon and they had a couple of extra pairs if we wanted them.  We did so Evie drove over to their house and picked them up and brought them home.  We then spent the next hour and a half either outside, looking up at the sky and Evie even went out in the kayak to see if she had a better view.  I also watched the eclipse from Oregon which was amazing to view even on TV.  We were a bit disappointed because we hardly noticed any change in the afternoon light during the partial eclipse, as you have to be in the path of the eclipse if it turns to night. Anyways, it gave us something fun to do during the afternoon rather than hit the dock.  And mid afternoon, Evie got to do one of her favorite things, mow the lawn in the sweltering afternoon heat. She did, intelligently, take a break before finishing.

Boating Home After A Celebratory Dinner At The Viking Club
Since we were having our six course anniversary dinner at the Viking Club, we wanted to leave early by boat because it is not always easy to find a spot to dock our boat.  So we were in our boat by 5:30 and took an easy cruise over to the club, getting there just before 6:00. And as predicted, we got the last spot to dock our boat, as others were also there early to get a spot.  When we walked in, we were lucky to get the last two seats at the bar and best of all, it was next to a couple we have become friends with over the past two years, Dana and Barb who live in Bemus Point on the lake.  We talked with them for a good half hour despite the fact they were ready to leave when we arrived.  After they left, we ordered our Cubans, a classic Chautauqua Lake sandwich.  I kidded Evie about taking her out for a six-course anniversary dinner: beer, popcorn, Cuban, chips, pickle, and Turtle lasagna for dessert.  And to be honest, we both prefer boating to the club, having a Cuban, sitting at the bar with friends, to an expensive restaurant, our blue collar roots I suppose.  We left about 7:30 and as we walked out on the dock, we ran into one of my yoga friends, Sunny, and her husband, as well as Pete, another Thursday morning breakfast guy.  Small world.  We took a nice slow cruise home, in no hurry to dock on a particularly pleasant evening on the lake.

When we got back, I  put the cover on our boat (it's supposed to rain today), and Evie got our dessert, the chocolate turtle lasagna ready.  We ate our almost too rich dessert as we watched two more episodes of THE TUNNEL, with one more to go tonight.  We can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...