Tuesday, August 15, 2017

A Bright, Shiny Morning


6:32

6:43

6:44
It's 7:30 and I have been up since 6:20, in time to see the sun, an orange ball, rise over Long Point, then brighten as it rose above the haze and clouds.  It's 66º at the moment, will get up to the high 70's with a chance and I emphasize chance, of rain.  Another kayak morning, out for just over a half hour, to Long Point, Sandy Bottom and home.
Kayak Morning
Yesterday began with an early 8:45 doctor's appointment in Jamestown, a yearly exam and I then stopped at the Labyrinth Press coffee shop for their breakfast burrito called a scrambler, lots of veggies, avocados, eggs, and it was big enough that I brought half home and had it for lunch.  After breakfast, I stopped at Keystone, to get my Accord safety checked and found out I needed a couple of new tires and a brace fixed on my muffler.  I will get the tires put on Wednesday afternoon after I pick up my Pilot which also was having work done.  I keep telling myself that spending money on these two old cars is much cheaper than buying a new or used car.  I keep telling myself.

When I got home, I expected to see Evie out cutting weeds in the lake and bingo, I was correct.  I went out for about 15 minutes, did some weeding myself, covering our dock with green.  We decided to ask our friends, Linda and Ron over for dinner and because my phone does not always work in certain areas, I never got Evie's list for Wegman's until I got home.  So I jumped in my trusty Honda Accord, drove to Wegman's, picking up corn and tomatoes from Jeremy, our local corn guy on the way.  I zipped around Wegman's, no tarrying Beth, picked a fast line and was back in my car in less than a half hour.  O, yea, I picked up another hose at Home Depot so we can now reach Evie's garden with our sump pump from the lake.  When I got home, Evie heated up a piece of pizza for me and I also had my leftover breakfast, so I had a fast and easy lunch.

While I was gone, Evie had made a version of German potato salad for dinner, basically red potatoes with vinegar and oil.  And she made some cole slaw for our barbecued pork sandwiches.  And she finally finished washing all of our towels, both bath and beach, after the family visit.  They are now ready for next year.  By the time all this was done, Evie was ready to enjoy dock time and I tried to take a nap with little success, so I went out and did some weeding and edging of our side walk until I too was ready for the dock.

Around 4:30, Evie went into start getting things ready for dinner, so I got out the wheel barrow, got rid of the dock weeds, swept it then swam out to one of our buoys and dragged it into the dock, put it in the wheel barrow, and put it away.  We no longer anticipate anyone wanting to use our floats.  Once my work was done, I took a final swim, the water refreshing and clear, then came in and helped Evie get the appetizers and drinks ready for Linda and Ron.

Dinner With Linda And Ron
They arrived at 6:15 and we quickly got our beers and appetizers and took them out to the dock to enjoy the late afternoon sun and breeze.  It was a perfect night on the lake, and we did not want to leave and go have dinner.  But by 7:30, we were hungry, so Evie put on the water for the corn, and the rest of us set the table and brought out dinner, barbecued pork, potato salad, coleslaw and fresh corn on the cob.  We ate outside because it was still warm enough although by the time we finished dinner, we needed a sweater or jacket.  I think the corn was the hit of the night, our first local corn from Northeast, PA.  We have enough of everything left for tonight's dinner.  Linda and Ron left just about 10:00 and Evie quickly did up the dishes while I put things away.  We then watched some TV and read before going to bed.  A good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...