Sunday, August 27, 2017

Final Night At Bemus Point Golf Course Bar/Restaurant


The Buddha In Evie's Garden: Peace And Love

6:44

6:52

6:55
Well, Evie and I were talking yesterday afternoon on the dock about the fact that there did not seem to be any bass tournaments this summer.  Last summer, I might get awakened at 6:00 by the roar of bass boats starting their day four or five times a summer.  So much for that theory.  I was awakened at 6:30 by the roar of bass boats, probably a good two minutes of boats taking off from the Long Point Marina.

Good Morning, Dahlia
Yesterday, for the most part, was a typical Saturday, a relaxing morning with coffee, a newspaper and no hurry to get up and do anything, in other words, no yoga.  Around 10:00, we started life.  I started gathering the trash and Evie worked at putting things together which we were donating to Journey's End, an organization that helps immigrants settle in Buffalo.  It was an easy trash day, one bucket and a few other oddities.  Once that was done, I came home and decided to make a pot of 16 bean soup.  I had seen this Goya product before and decided to give it a try.  I sauteed onions and celery while I soaked the beans in hot water for an hour.  I then drained the beans, added them to the onions and celery, added six cups of water and a package of ham flavoring and let it simmer for a couple of hours until the beans were tender.  I have not tried it yet but I get the feeling it's too thick, in other words, needs more liquid and lacks flavor so I will need to salt it quite a bit more.  Whatever, it will be my lunch for the next few days.

Once we were done doing a few chores in the house, Evie went out to enjoy the afternoon on the dock where depending on the sun and clouds, it was either too hot or too cool.  I had lunch of the leftover eggplant pasta and watched another episode of FNL, my nostalgic fix.  Then, I read some and since I finished CHURCHILL & ORWELL, I had picked up a John Banville novel which I was not enjoying.  Fortunately, my library sent me a message that Tom Perotta's latest, MRS. FLETCHER, was ready for my Kindle.  So I downloaded it, put the Banville novel aside, not without some guilt and started on MRS. FLETCHER, a fast, funny, vulgar but an easy read, about a single mother who sends her only child off to college.  It's a new life for both of them and in alternating chapters, they tell their stories.  Set in the present, I can't much relate to either, to be honest.  You will have to read it to understand what I mean.

I then joined Evie and enjoyed the sun for a bit before getting bored as usual and did a few things, like clean off the hood of my car which I parked under our willow after washing it Friday afternoon, a mistake because the hood was covered with both bird dropping as well as sap from the tree.  I need a garage!

The Ladies Of Woodlawn
Around 4:30, we both took showers and got gussied up (tee shirt, shorts, and Vans Skate Board shoes) because our neighborhood, Woodlawn, was having its third gathering of the summer, from 5:00 to 7:00.  It's a nice way to catch up with the neighbors who are usually busy with their families or guests.  Everyone brings an appetizer and their own drinks and we stand around and catch up for an hour or two,

The Men Of Woodlawn And Nancy
It's always fun and we usually get to meet someone we have never met before (a friend of a neighbor) or a neighbor we have not seen in awhile.  We were the last ones to leave along with our neighbors from Cleveland Heights, Barb and Jim.  They mentioned that the Bemus Point Golf Course restaurant was having Customer Appreciation Night since they had recently been sold.  They asked if we were interested in going so, of course, we said yes and drove over to the crowded bar, had a few beers, talked with others who were sad to see the restaurant, famous for their grilled wings, close.  Both Barb and Jim as well as Evie and I knew a number of the customers, in fact, a couple of them were bartenders we have gotten to know over the years.  I am not sure what this says about us.  The only bummer was that all the food except for cold tater tots was gone so we went home at 9:30 still hungry.
Selfie With Barb And Jim As Bemus Point Golf Course Restaurant Closes
When we got home, Evie made herself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a perfect complement to a couple of beers and I made a chicken sandwich, enough to tide me over until this morning.  We watched Real Time with Bill Maher, lots of laughs, then went to bed at 11:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...