Thursday, August 24, 2017

A Chilly Morning

6:09

6:44

6:54
It's just after 7:00 as I start my blog, as steam rises from the lake, the sun bright and large, looking down at Long Point.  I was up at 6:10, in time for the sunrise around 6:45, on a quiet, empty lake morning.  I had to put on a fleece, a harbinger of fall I suppose.  Bring it on.  I am ready to get back in the hiking mode.

Yesterday seemed like a long, leisurely morning because yoga did not start until 10:00 and both of us were up early.  So around 8:00, after coffee and listening to Morning Joe, we took a kayak paddle over to Long Point, to the marina and home, on a algae laced lake.   It is that time of the year.  I paddled home before Evie because I had to get ready for yoga and she stayed on to meander her way home.

Yoga was as usual good, as we did different sorts of asanas with Jen which I like.  Trying something different or using a chair or pillow makes yoga more interesting and fun.  Afterwards, I picked up a coffee and drove to Sam's Club to return the luggage carrier we had ordered on line.  I was a bit worried they would not take it back but there was no problem, as they never batted an eye to use an overused cliche.  I also bought one of their rotisserie chickens which are usually good enough for two meals for us. And I stopped, again, at Harbor Freight, to pick up a heavy duty tarp to put in my car to keep it clean when carrying trash or tree branches.  When I got home, Evie was relaxing as she had a sleepless night.

The rest of the day we sort of hung out, as neither of us had much energy.  I had a lunch of tuna salad and a bagel and watched Friday Night Lights.  I then relaxed on the couch and finished my book, CHURCHILL & ORWELL, not a favorite but an interesting look at the similarities of both men's beliefs, with an emphasis on freedom, the individual, and the fear of power of the State.  It's hard to tell if their sympathies would be with the democrats or republicans but one thing is  certain: both would abhor, even fear the rise of Trump for reasons too many to enumerate.

After a brief nap, I decided to get something done since Evie was relaxing on the dock.  I got out my saw and shears and started cutting up the downed willow branches, putting the larger branches in my Subaru, the smaller into a garbage pail.  It took be about an hour to cut up everything filling the car with the large pieces, two pails with the smaller branches.  It took two trips up the hill to get rid of everything but now our parking area is clear.

Around 6:00 Evie put together some chicken enchiladas, using the rotisserie chicken, put it in the oven and then we relaxed for forty five minutes with a glass of wine and listened to 'breaking news' on CNN.  Dinner was tasty, chicken enchiladas on a bed or lettuce covered with salsa, cheese and sour cream.  We caught up on three Vice News episodes, always relevant and interesting, then finished the evening with last Friday's Real Time with Bill Maher.  I have to admit I am getting sick of listening to every talk show go off on Trump, as if there is nothing else to talk about.  He so dominates the news channels with his madness and fear mongering that it no longer seems mad, just normal, more of the same. How are we going to put up with this for three and a half more years? Can he change?  Or will he resign as many pundits (and Evie) think?  Or will he be impeached as the Republicans finally turn on him, realizing that he is a threat to the nation.  Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...