Friday, September 13, 2024

Sunny and Getting Warmer

7:12

7:22

7:22

7:23

It's 7:47 and what was once an orange globe is now a bright, blinding sun, filling the lake with its light on a 57º morning. I was up at 6:45 and a few bass boats were already out, racing up the lake to get that early bass. It's 9:15 and I paddled for 40 minutes on another fine morning. 

Kayak Morning

Great Blue Heron

Thursday was a busy morning for both of us. Mine started with a good breakfast at the Ashville Country Store instead of kayaking. When I returned home around 9:15, we finished the blog and Grandma Evie was ready for kindergarten. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do but finally decided on a bike ride. So I drove to Mayville, parked my car in the park and rode two lengths of the Webb Trail, about four miles, then Sea Lion Drive and beyond before returning. It took me nearly an hour to ride 9 miles which doesn't seem like that much. On the way home, I stopped at the hardware store to pick up a few things, then drove home. 

Webb's Trail

Northern Tip Of Lake

I wasn't that hungry because of a big breakfast so I cut up local tomatoes into squares, added vineger and oil, and had my lunch. I watched the last episode of Season Four of Justified, then read and took a great nap, much needed since I was up at 5:30. While I was napping, Evie returned, exhausted but happy and was watching her afternoon fix, The View. I sat out in the sideyard and read on a 80º afternoon but surprisingly, because of the breeze, it was cool, almost cold enough to want a fleece. 

Bloody Mary Afternoon

Lake Time

We ended up on the porch with a glass of wine, debating what to do for dinner when our neighbor, Pat called, and wondered if we might enjoy fresh walleye. Her husband David went on a fishing excursion in Barcelona on Lake Erie and came home with lots of walleye fillets. Well, what could we say but bring it over. Pat stayed for a good half hour, enjoying a libation, before walking back home to make their walleye dinner. Evie coated the walleye with crushed Ritz crackers, sauteed it and with some baked potatoes and tartar sauce. The walleye, a local favorite, was sweet and delicious, one of the best edible fish. We watched Stephen Colbert discuss the Presidential Debate until it was time for the Bills game. I stayed up until the end of the first half and Evie went to bed after the first quarter. Happily, I discovered the Bills won 31-10 this morning on ESPN.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...