Friday, January 7, 2022

We Got Snow(And Swans)

7:45

8:14

It's 7:00 as I begin this, still dark out and we got maybe three inches of snow overnight, with up to 14 inches to come later in the day.  It's a winter wonderland at the moment when I turn on our spotlight, silent, snow falling, not a mark on the snow's surface except for the track of an animal.  It's 8:15, Evie's still sleeping and I just finished shoveling or pushing the snow off our driveway, a joy because the six inches of snow was light and down like.  It's now 9:55, Evie's up, and I just returned from shoveling the drive way for the second time this morning, as 2 inches or more of snow are falling an hour. 



Finally, Trumpeter Swans


The days seem to be the same lately, with nothing much to look forward to, no eating out, no sitting at bars, no dinners with friends.  I am lucky, however, to be able to get out to either shop or hike.  Evie is still being careful and sticking inside. Yesterday morning I was unable to paddle because of the ice although it melted and later in the day I probably could have gotten out there.  After the blog and breakfast, I volunteered to return a couple of things to Amazon so I drove to Mayville only to find out they no longer will pack and send it for you, that we have to drive to Foote Avenue in Jamestown to send them unless it's a Thursday, when they will take packages to Jamestown. Well, it was Thursday so after some complications, I left my packages with them, hoping they would get to UPS in Jamestown. Nothing is easy anymore. After that hassle, I did a quick run-through at Tops, picking up the three or four items which I could not get at Wegman's on Wednesday.  Tops was practically empty and I wonder how they stay in business. 

When I returned, Evie was watching the pundits evaluate Biden's speech, blaming Trump for 1/6.  We listened to it and were happy to see him set forth the truth about Trump and some of his crony's attempts to steal the election. Of course, Fox news hardly paid attention to 1/6, finding the closing of schools in Chicago more important to discuss.  It must be difficult as a Democrat to work with the Republicans who embrace the lie, the eight Senators (the likes of Cruz, Hawley, and Scott)  who said they will reject electors from certain states and not certify Biden on 1/6. Scumbags. 

Lunch was another veggie wrap with Evie's cauliflower soup and another episode of Dalgliesh on Acorn TV. After lunch and TV, the rest of the afternoon for both of us was leisurely, as neither of us had much mojo, preferring to read, nap or watch TV, especially because we were having leftovers for dinner so there was no need to fuss.  By 4:00, however, I was going stir crazy and went for my usual mile walk through the Woodlawn/Victoria woods as it was starting to get dark. For some reason, I enjoy this hour as much as walking in the morning.

Dusk

Winter

During Happy Hour, we watched one of our favorite films, Broadcast News, a good way to fill the hour before dinner.  We ate the leftovers, both tetrazzini and chicken wings, along with a salad and enjoyed both.  I was surprised how tasty the chicken wings were after reheating them in an oven, just as good as the night before.  Because there is not much we want to watch, we went back and looked at recommended films and settled on Secrets And Lies, a  1996 British film by Mike Leigh.  We loved it, our kind of film, no sex, no violence, fantasy or superheroes, just sparkling acting, and a dysfunctional family coming to terms with their past secrets. We ended the night with Jeopardy as Amy Schneider sealed her 26th win with a correct final answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...