Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Lake's Icing Up



7:19

7:58

8:10

It's 8:25, the sun's up, filling our living room with light. I was tempted to try to kayak but Evie discouraged me because the lake is beginning to freeze and she didn't want to have to throw me a rope and pull me in.  It's 19º, with clear skies, little wind, a fine January morning.  By the way, hundreds of seagulls are back, this time either perched on the ice or open waters. 

Floating And Flying

A Gang Of Seagulls

It's getting boring around here as we have been quarantining for four or five days, staying put except for short hike for me in the neighborhood.  Evie is close to the five-day end of quarantine and is feeling better this morning. I don't think she will be doing much until the weekend if then, just to be sure she's not contagious. 

So yesterday was not much different from the previous days. Up early, making coffee in our old machine because our Keurig is on the fritz.  In fact, after breakfast and writing the blog, Evie spent a good twenty minutes on the phone with Keurig about our fairly new coffee station and has gotten them to send us a new one.  We will have to wait and see.  She also called Samsun to complain about our refrigerator which freezes up forcing us to defrost it every couple of months but to no avail.  We will probably buy a new one in the next few months alas.

Woodlawn

Victoria/Woodlawn

While Evie was on the phone, I layered up and went for another hike in our woods, awesome because for once the sun was out, the skies were blue.  And even though it was cold, with a bitter wind, it was great especially when I was in the trees which protected me from the wind.  My walk is usually just over a mile and takes a half-hour as I am in no hurry.

Blue Skies

A Maze Of Trees

Lunch was the last of Evie's soup and a bagel with cream cheese and tomatoes and I started an older series on Acorn called Dalgliesh, a series based on the novels of P. D. James which I read back in the 1980's.  After lunch, both of us took naps and I think Evie really needed one.  We then either read or watched TV the rest of the afternoon until wine time at 5:30.  

4:42 PM

For dinner, Evie roasted some cauliflower to go with the leftover Santa Fe chicken and a salad.  The Santa Fe chicken was even better the second day.  We watched a couple of Hometown episodes, Jeopardy and the first quarter of the Browns game before I had enough and we switched to Hulu to watch a series my daughter Beth recommended called Hot Ones.  The premise sounds ridiculous but it's really fun. The host invites a celebrity to sit down with him and enjoy chicken wings trying ten different hot sauces, each one hotter than the last.  And while they munch on wings, the host interviews the guest and he's really good at asking questions, getting the guests to be themselves.  It's a hoot and I recommend it, a good way to end the evening with laughter and often tears after the last hot sauce of the night. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...