Monday, January 10, 2022

A Frothy Brew Of Ice And Water

8:12

8:20

8:21


It's 7:57 and I start this, the lake near the shore filled with chunks of ice, the sky with seagulls, the air with sounds of trumpeter swans and howling wind. It's a dismal gray on gray morning, with perhaps a couple of inches of snow overnight and once again, a chilly 17º morning. No kayaking this morning because of the ice, the wind, and the chill. It's 9:30 and the sun has popped out briefly, the sky has lightened some. 

Trumpeter Swans Abound




Sunday was a similar morning, mostly gray although it was warm in the morning and began to cool off in the afternoon and evening, into the '20s. Much of the snow melted Saturday night and Sunday morning, creating the big drip.  Walks and driveways were icy, making it dangerous to walk if you were not careful. The lake was filled with swans but most of them were settled off of Long Point, too far away to get a good photograph.  So around 10:00, after writing the blog and having my homemade granola, yogurt and blueberries, I jumped in my car and drove over to the Long Point Marina and parked my car by the path out to the tip of Long Point.  Unfortunately, when I got out to the tip, where I assumed the swans were massed, they had drifted out into the middle of the lake.  I was able, however, to get some decent photos of the masses of ducks, even some swans, near the Bath House. I walked out and back through slush, no ice, so it was safe and enjoyable, despite the light drizzle. And I was the only crazy out for a walk.

Walking Long Point Trail

Snow And Slush

After I returned, we decided to have our usual big breakfast and watch CBS Sunday Morning.  So Evie fried up some bacon and eggs, toasted bagels, and I turned on the TV.  CBS Sunday Morning never disappoints and is always varied and interesting, avoiding politics for the most part except for covering the insurrection in depth.  After breakfast, we watched a few minutes of the Browns game but soon were bored and I left and read and took a brief nap while Evie put together an apple pie with a ricotta custard topping. Yum.  We then relaxed until 4:30 when we turned on the Bills game and spent the rest of the afternoon agonizing through the sloppy first three quarters until the Bills finally clinched the win in the last ten minutes.  

Dinner was great, the leftover pot roast dinner, with a salad and of course, pie for dessert.  I could hardly move to walk into the kitchen to do up the dinner dishes.  We watched a couple episodes of Hometown, then some football and basketball before going to bed earlier than usual. I finished my book, The Promise and tried three different books, none grabbing me until I settled, finally, on Fleishman Is In Trouble by TaffyBrodesser-Akner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...