Saturday, January 29, 2022

Brrrr

Skiing Long Point (photo by Evie)

7:51

8:10

It's just 8:00 and I have been up since 7:00. watching the ice fishermen trudge out in 1º weather, with a wind chill factor of -20º. A few breaks of light in the gray sky suggest the sun has risen.  

Yesterday was darn cold, like the past few days making it difficult to want to get out in the woods for cross country skiing or snowshoeing.  It took us a while to get up the courage after breakfast so while Evie got a few things done in the house, I went out cross country skiing in the neighborhood and campground and ended up skiing on the lake which was not bad. As I tried to ski up the steep bank to our yard, I fell into three or four feet of snow, laughed at my awkwardness, and struggled to take off my skis so I could stand up on the slope. What a clutz. I had to brush snow off my pants and coat, empty some out of my boots when I got home. I did, however,  get in a mile of skiing.

Trails Groomed By Ice Fishermen

By 11:30, Evie was ready to get out there, so we drove over to Long Point State Park and thought it would be fun and easy to ski or snowshoe out to the point and back.  Well, it was fairly easy but the wind as we went out was bitter and we couldn't wait to get out to the point and head back on the other side of the peninsula, protected by the trees. We did feel righteous afterward for braving the cold and getting in some exercise, 

We were home by 1:00 and Evie made me a schnitzel sandwich and heated up the lentil soup cleaned up the kitchen.  I loved my lunch, watched The Sopranos, and was happy to get back to my Lousie Penny novel and fall asleep, taking a nice nap.  We did not have to worry about dinner because we had plenty of chili and noodles leftover from an earlier dinner.  So we wasted the afternoon, looking forward, however, to happy hour, with a Manhattan, and a good cheese, crackers, and cashews. It was a good way to spend a cold Friday night.  Dinner was just right, the chili with a salad and a Pepsi and we watched the usual Friday shows before bed, The Good Fight and a couple of episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. No Jeopardy because it was preempted.

A Nymph In The Woods

 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...