Thursday, January 6, 2022

Seagulls, Snow, And A Freezing Lake


                                       Cardinal Having Breakfast in our Bradford Pear Tree


 



7:13

It's 7:45 and I have been up since 5:30, alas, waiting for some light.  Now, the sky is partly cloudy, as hundreds of seagulls return, circling over the frozen lake. Yesterday's '30s have given way to today's teens.  At the moment, it's 16º with perhaps an inch or two of snow.  

Sea Gulls Rising

8:01

8:02

Sea Gulls Gathering

8:07

Wednesday began well, with a great paddle, the ice having melted overnight, so I could get out there early. We then finished the blog and I had breakfast as we sat in the living room making up the grocery list on Evie's iPhone. We were in no hurry so I left for Wegmans at 10:45, stopping for gas, making sure our tank is always close to full. Wegmans was surprisingly quiet, probably because it was the day after (senior citizen day). And as I shopped, I noticed they were out of a number of things we wanted, like chicken breasts or radishes. Still, I managed to fill a large cart with groceries, and fortunately, found a cashier who was not busy. So I was home by 12:15 and helped Evie put away the groceries.

Lunch was the cauliflower soup and a veggie wrap with hummus, cucumbers, hot sauce, and tomatoes.  I started a new episode of Dalgliesh, based on P. D. James The Dark Tower which I remember reading back in the late 1970s in Istanbul. 

4:05 PM

The afternoon went quickly, with a nap, finishing my Richard Osman novel and starting the 2021 Booker Prize-winning novel The Promise by Damon Galgut, set in South Africa in the 1990s. It's getting boring around here in the afternoons because of our being careful to stay home.  I did take an at-home Covid Test, just to make sure I was not positive and as we thought, it was negative. 

We were excited about dinner because Evie ordered double wings and a couple orders baskets of fries from Steeners Pub.  I picked it up at 6:15, the bar packed with guys, the restaurant less than half-filled.  We ate our wings and fries as we watched three episodes of Hot Ones, with three different guests, Billie Ellish, Trevor Noah, and Scarlett Johannsen. It was fun. We ended our night with Jeopardy, then a couple of episodes of a Netflix series called Virgin River. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...