Friday, October 8, 2021

Variations On Pink And Gray

6:59

7:14

7:15

It's after 9:00 and the sky has turned gray, the pink streaks lost in the overcast skies.  I paddled for an hour and twenty minutes, along the shoreline to Wells Bay, out to Tom's Point, across to Long Point, and home to Woodlawn.  I crossed the lake to Tom's Point, hoping to see an eagle or osprey but was rewarded while paddling to four different great blue herons.

Kayak Morning






Thursday I skipped kayaking and went to breakfast in Bemus.  After breakfast and the blog, I drove to Lakewood to another crowded but good Yin Yoga class.  I always feel much more aware of my body, myself in that class. Few people wore masks although the rate of infections seems high in this area, low in most other areas.  It seems to reinforce the idea that no one knows for sure why Covid spreads, while there are periods of high infection, at other times low. Common sense still suggests that getting vaccinated and wearing a mask indoors lessen the chance of infection. Enough tub-thumping. 

On the way home, I stopped and picked up a half dozen ears of corn for tonight's dinner.  When I got home, Evie had my lunch ready, soup and pizza and she then drove off to shop at Wegman's. I finished another year of Prime Suspect with lunch and have one more year.  I started a new book, Damnation Creek, set in the logging towns of the Northwest and like it so far.  I finished Also My Home, by Attica Locke, the third novel I have read by her. Evie was home by 2:00, put away the groceries and then went out and mowed the lawn, leaf-covered already. I read some out in the yard, then decided I needed some exercise and drove to the Chautauqua Institution and biked the grounds for forty-five minutes, easy and fun riding.

Thunder Bridge

CI Sailing Club

We walked down to our neighbors, Barb and Jim's house, at 6:00 and they drove us to dinner at the Cockaigne Ski Resort Restaurant in Cherry Creek, a beautiful half-hour ride away, the pasture land green, the trees beginning to change colors.  This is the third time we have eaten there and it's never crowded but always good. 

Together Again

We had fried pickles for an appetizer and Evie and I both ordered the New York Strip special for fifteen bucks.  Along with the steak, you get a beer and a side.  It was a fun night, with good food and friends and a pleasant drive.  We drove home in the utter darkness of country roads, so different from urban and highway driving, with little traffic, few lights.  We were home by 8:15, in time to watch our shows before bed. 

On October 8th, sixty years ago, I had my first date with Evie, the beginning of our life together.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...