Thursday, October 7, 2021

A Leaden Sky, A Light Southerly Breeze

Crusing Chautauqua Lake

Fallen Leaves at 7:41

It's 7:18 and the sky is just beginning to lighten, enough so I know I don't want to kayak.  A light wind, overcast skies, and fog make it undesirable. Maybe I am getting old! It's 7:40 as I finish this and the sky is getting bright enough to make me want to kayak, but I have breakfast in Bemus at 8:00 so I will have to skip it. 

It's interesting how difficult it often becomes to remember what you did the previous day, most likely because the days are similar, not much to differentiate them. So here it goes. I kayaked and had a great time photographing wood ducks, my favorite. After the blog and breakfast, I now remember, I spent the next couple of hours cleaning the buoys. First, I rowed out and pulled six out of the water. The buoys are attached by a rope to cement blocks, and dragging them into the boat is not good for old backs. I then cut the rope, threw it away, stored the cement blocks away for next year, and cleaned the buoys by filling a wheelbarrow with water and bleach, then scrubbing the dirt and algae off of each buoy.  It took over an hour of scrubbing to get them back to a semblance of white, ready for next year.  Evie was so impressed with the hard work that she made a pot of vegetable soup and made me tuna sandwiches for lunch.  

I ate lunch and returned to my show on Hulu, Prime Suspect, and caught up on the storyline.  Neither of us felt like doing much the rest of the afternoon, alas, so I read and napped and Evie read in the side yard, finishing her book, Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner. I joined her around 3:00 and because it was such a beautiful day, I suggested a boat ride.  So I took the cover off the boat and we cruised over to Bemus and back, probably one of our last boat rides of the year. It seemed like we were the only ones on the lake on this spectacular afternoon  After the cruise, on put the cover back on the boat and read out on the dock until 5:00 when we both showered and got ready to go out to dinner with friends.

Dining Al Fresco With Joe, Pizza Man

Linda and Ron picked us up at 6:15 and drove us to Jamestown to the outdoor patio at Pace's Pizza, our new go-to place.  We were fortunate to get reservations on the patio and closed up the place. Both Evie and Linda were looking forward to the meatball and sauce appetizer but they were out of meatballs.  How can an Italian restaurant be out of meatballs?  We assuaged our pique with beers and a bottle of wine and a large pizza. The patio, surrounded by trees, lights on the railing, and a heater in the middle for warmth create a cozy, garden-like atmosphere in the middle of brick city. We did not get home till 8:15, in time to watch our shows and finish our series, Goliath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...