Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Why I Kayak Every Morning

7:07

7:43

I woke at 6:00 to a 38º morning, no longer wondering why it seemed chilly in bed.  We need to get out another blanket.  It was dark until 6:45 and now, at 7:15, I make out a blue sky, a layer of orange above the horizon, and fog halfway out the lake on a so-far windless morning. It's 8:30 and I was out for a half hour on a spectacular morning paddle, in the fog initially, towards the sun rising, then back as the shoreline cleared up enough so I could get a shot of a heron. 

Kayak Morninng

Keeping Warm




Monday was another windy day, white caps on the lake, the wind whistling as we walked in the woods.  I did get out on the water briefly, too choppy and windy to enjoy.  We got a few things done around the house but by 10:00, we had our hiking boots on and were off to the Audubon Community Nature Center, a half-hour drive. It was great weather for walking, sunny and cool.  There were quite a few cars in the parking lot but we never saw anyone during our two-mile walk.  It always feels good to be in the woods, usually just the two of us, the leaves underfoot, wet not crispy because of the overnight rain. We have walked this trail many times over the past ten years but it never fails to please us with its variety of landscapes, 

 The Audubon


Teepee





On the way home, we stopped at Wegman's to pick up a few things for our Asian dinner, even some sushi for an appetizer.  For lunch, Evie made me a healthy and delicious wrap on Joseph's flatbread, filled with veggies and hummus for a spread.  We still have a pot of mushroom barley soup so I had a bowl to go with my wrap.  I started a second episode of Foyle's War, a good choice for an afternoon serial. 

Victoria Boat Lift And Dock Destroyed By Wind



We then wasted much of the afternoon, something that is happening too much lately, spending the afternoon on a couch or lounge outdoors.  I did finish my book by Anthony Horowitz after a nap and started another called People Like Them. I am not sure about it. Around 4:00, we both got busy and I went outside and got a few more things done, getting our yard ready for the dock, putting away some chairs, things like that.  And Evie prepped all the veggies for our wok dinner.  We had happy hour inside because it was chilly out until 6:15 when it was time for me to make dinner.  I usually cook the veggies first, then the chicken in hot bean sauce, garlic, and ginger, finally adding the cooked veggies at the end and thickening it with corn starch, adding some sesame oil and soy as needed.  We serve it over rice of course.  It was good, not great despite the dollops of hot bean sauce, it was not spicy or hot enough. Not sure why. We started Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu and liked it enough to watch three episodes.  We ended the night watching the first half of the Bills/Titans game which, I found out this morning, Buffalo lost, sad making. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...