Thursday, April 8, 2021

A Crescent Moon Morning Sky

6:07 AM

6:31

7:02

I was up earlier than usual, 5:30, to a rosy-colored sky and surprise, a crescent moon hanging over Bootey Bay. When I walked out on the front porch, the ducks were squawking and a fishing boat was out, cruising by Long Point.  I did get in a short paddle down to Sandy Bottom and back before breakfast, a much needed jaunt. 

Kayak Morning

Buffleheads

Into The Sun

Wednesday was summer-like, with temperatures in the high '70s, as Spring is tempting us with this warm weather, sunny days.  The real Spring has yet to come, days of rain and mud.  I was so excited by the lake, it's motionless, that I kayaked over to Tom's Point and back, for close to an hour and a half. Evie had lots of things on her to-do list, so she was busy early because we were having our neighbors, Pat and David over for dinner.  They live in Houston and are here for a few days before heading back until late May.  I have been flummoxed by a way to hang gourds on my purple martin house.  I left for Tractor Supply, with ideas from my neighbor Jim.  To my surprise, I found not only a martin pole but also a tree to hang the gourds on.  Problem solved.  I was home by 11:30 and it took me maybe a half hour to get the new pole and tree with gourds set up and ready to go.  

Purple Martin House (sparrow checking it out) 

I had the leftover pot roast for lunch, watched my series, and then napped, tired out from my morning angst.  I was up and ready to put my old martin house in the water by 2:00.  So I donned my shoulder-high waders, attached the house to the pole, walked the pole with the house out to the pipe I had hammered into the mud, and placed the pole in its opening.  Viola, I had my purple martin house ready for the scouts.  And later today, I will put the gourds out on their pole, first pounding in another pipe,  

Dinner With David And Pat

We were having teriyaki pork chops and twice-baked potatoes for dinner and by 5:00, the potatoes were ready to bake and the pork chops were marinating in a teriyaki sauce. It was another pleasant evening so we were able to sit out on the front porch with our friends, enjoying a libation, endadame, and cheese from Trader Joe's.  We were entertained by ducks floating by, rabbits running in and out of bushes, and birds flitting in the trees, and rhododendrons. We did not come in until after 7:00 when it was starting to cool off and I went out and grilled the pork chops for dinner.  We spent dinner talking about the various films and TV series we watched this past winter as both of us are real film buffs. For dessert, Evie had made a hot fudge sauce and dripped it on vanilla ice cream, and along with cookies Pat made, a great way to end the evening.  They left around 10:00 and we then did up a few of the dishes before bedtime.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...