Tuesday, March 2, 2021

White And Cold, Again

6:56

It's 16º and yesterday's green lawn is now covered with a dusting of snow.  The lake is white once again, the car, too, and winter seems to have returned, putting Spring in the closet. We are not complaining. It's 7:30 as I start this and Evie's up, having coffee with me.  How nice. 

Sun And Shadows At Lakeside Cemetery


The Much Visited Grave Of Lucille Ball

Yesterday was another gray, unappealing winter/spring day.  Neither of us was in the mood to do something but knew we should.  So after breakfast and the blog, I suggested we drive to Jamestown and walk around the Lakeside Cemetery for a change.  The paths should be free of ice and we like to walk it in each of the seasons because it's a beautiful area.  So we drove there, arriving around 11:30 and walked into a strong easterly wind for forty-five minutes, blessed with occasional sightings of the sun. After our walk, we stopped at the nearby Tops and picked up a few things for our taco casserole dinner, another recipe I found on Facebook yesterday morning.

Graves Of Fallen Veterans

We did not return home till almost 1:00, just in time for me to warm up a bowl of my kuru fasulye with rice and enjoy it with Frank's hot sauce as I watched another episode of Watchman.  I then started a new book by John Hart called The Unwilling, set in the 1970s during Vietnam War. I like all of Hart's books and this one is no exception.  I then took my usual nap, waking to see that Evie was midway through one of our favorite films, Lars and The Real Girl, so I joined her and watched the last half.  Just as we finished, it began to snow, huge, soft snowflakes, so different from the usual sleet from the past couple of days. It was beautiful, obscuring the Point for about twenty minutes.  

White Out At 4:00 PM

Lake Parking

Evie did not get dinner started until late because of phone calls with both our daughter, Beth, and my sister Ellen.  I helped and we quickly put together the recipe for a taco casserole, with meat, refried beans, cheese, chips, tomatoes, and onions.  Pop it in the oven for 20 minutes and we had dinner.  We topped it with sour cream and more chips and pretended we were in a Mexican restaurant.  We decided to watch the Golden Globe-nominated film on Netflix, "The Trial Of The Chicago Seven." It was interesting more than compelling and the clash between cops and protesters of the Vietnam War reminded us both of January 6th.  The scenes from the trial were often outrageous, as both the defendants and the judge seemed manic, out of control and the trial was more about politics than justice. The compelling final scene was Tom Hayden reading the names of the 5,000 deaths in the Vietnam War during the five months the trial took place.  Watching the film reminded me of a quotation from the preface of the Vietnam book I am now reading, The Unwilling

"We the unwilling, led by the unqualified to kill the unfortunate, die for the ungrateful. —Unknown Soldier."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...