Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Snow Again

8:23

It's 8:00 as I sit in my living room, watch fat snowflakes slowly fall, covering the green lawn with white.  I don't think I will be kayaking unless the weather changes quickly.  I woke with anticipation this morning because we bought a new coffee pot and filled it with Peets coffee last night.  I cannot say I am too impressed, either by the pot or the coffee.  Maybe we made the coffee too weak because I don't notice much difference between Peet's and Wegman's coffee.  

A Pair Of Common Mergansers

Yesterday was a busy day, as we knew it was going to snow or rain most of today so we wanted to get some things done outside.  After my paddle, blog, and breakfast, I spent a good half hour dragging deadfall from Sunday night's storm back to my car, chopping it into small enough pieces to fit in my car, and taking it up the hill to the woodpile.  While I was doing this, Evie was making lentil soup and setting up our bird feeders, getting them ready for the birds this winter here at the lake. We left for Lakewood around 10:30, dropped my Honda off to get it to checked out; it occasionally won't turn over, leaving me stranded so they are going to look into it.  We had an appointment at 11:00 with Jessica, a free health care advisor with whom we have worked with the last couple of years.  She is amazingly knowledgeable about all programs and is honest about the virtues of one program over another.  She has helped us change programs, both health and prescription when we needed it. I wonder why more people don't take advantage of her expertise.  She is great and has saved us lots of money.

Since her office is literally across the street from Wegman's, we had to do a quick shopping, if there is such a thing with my wife.  We usually split up and after ten minutes I could not find her because she had never made it out of the produce department, having spent ten minutes talking with friends.  I had to finally text her to find her, thinking maybe she had checked out and was at the car.  We then finished shopping and stopped at both TJ Maxx and Michaels, looking for small, fake pine trees to put in our flower box just below the bird feeders, hoping they will perch while feeding.  We found them on sale at Michaels, much to Evie's delight.

We did not get home until after 1:00 and I was hungry so we quickly heated up the soup and had a sub or part of a sub for lunch as I watched my show, Long Way Up.  They are now at the tip of South America, stuck in a snowstorm, putting off the beginning of their trip north.  We then took a break for a couple of hours, me reading and napping, Evie watching some TV and reading.  Around 4:00, we both went outside and worked in both the front and back yards, raking leaves and gathering the deadfall from the heavy winds, clocked according to the paper, at 69 mph.  No wonder so many people are without power in the area.  I took two trips up the hill to the woodpile and we finally have our yard clear, the flower beds cleaned out.  

Evie was trying a new recipe, recommended as good and easy by our daughter Jill, called Thai Chicken Satay.  Basically, she browned the chicken after marinating it, then making a sauce with coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce, fish sauce, and red curry paste to serve over the chicken.  It was delish, especially with rice and broccoli as a side.  We even had time for wine and relaxation once it was basically done.  We watched three more episodes of The Crown, one an outlier about a man who breaks into the Queen's bedroom twice.  We ended the night with another episode of The Hour, happy to get lost in the world of  TV series.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...