Friday, November 27, 2020

Living In Gray

7:31

This Morning's Breakfast

Another bleak morning on the lake, overcast with a calm, windless morning on a gray lake.  It's been like this for a good week, little if any sunshine, a fitting color for the family-less holiday week.  We better get used to it because we have a good six more months or more of this kind of living in a bubble of our own making, sensible I might add.  I kayaked for 55 minutes this morning and despite the gray, I enjoyed being out there, no ripple nor boat, just me.  I floated quietly toward a muskrat, lazily gliding on his back, took out my camera, and it shut down, as the battery ran out perfect timing. It's 9:20 as I finish writing this and Evie is just rising from our cozy, warm bed! Lucky gal. 

Kayak Morning

Yesterday was a day of patience, waiting for 3:00 so we could drive to our friends, Lind and Ron's, for Thanksgiving.  The morning, however, was typical, with a paddle, blog, and breakfast.  Once that was done, Evie pulled out her Cuisinart, apples, and flour, and put together an apple pie for our dinner,  Meanwhile, I was in the TV room, practicing Yoga With Adrienne.  I have not been able to access her classes for a couple of weeks but yesterday, they popped up and I was able to enjoy it.  I am not sure what the problem was, my cable or YouTube.  

For lunch, Evie made me a small salad with the leftover salmon and I watched my show, read more of my book, and took a brief nap before showering and getting ready to head to Lighthouse Point.  We arrived with goodies, a bottle of Beaujolais for Linda, maple syrup for Ron, whiskey sours for the three of us, and an apple pie for dessert.  The kitchen was filled with the aromas of Thanksgiving and we quickly pulled out glasses and enjoyed toasting the day with our whiskey sours, a nice and different treat.  We had a cup of pumpkin soup as an appetizer, just enough to hold us over until dinner time.  

Thanksgiving Table

Thanksgiving dinner, as always, was great, turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes and peas.  What else could we want? How lucky we were to be together, knowing all four of us have been careful about quarantining.  Ron and I were not embarrassed to go back for seconds, making sure we were properly stuffed, like most Thanksgiving turkeys. The only disappointment was the Beaujolais as none of us were impressed by it, preferring the Malbec.

Grateful For The Cooks

While the gals divided up the leftovers and did the dishes, Ron and I watched some boring NFL football and reminiscing about the good old days of high school, college, and NBA basketball, the days before it became so commercial, the 50's and 60's.  At dinner, we decided to pick out a movie so we chose a recent film on Netflix, "The Life Ahead," featuring an 86 year old Sophia Loren and directed by her son.  It was decent, a bit slow and predictable, but we stuck with it till the end.  We would give it a C.  We ended the night with cherry and apple pies a la mode and did not leave until 10:00, grateful  to have been able to spend the day with our good friends, Linda and Ron.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...