Saturday, May 9, 2020

What The Heck...Snow Flurries In May



A Bald Eagle Perched On Its Woodlawn Tree
6:29
6:45
8:09
8:35
It's just after 8:00 and I just returned from a short, 25-minute paddle, riding the waves, fighting the wind and cold but I did get a photograph of a bald eagle, harassed by a couple of crows to no avail. It's 8:40 and the flurries have started up, the sky overcast. 

Kayaking Towards The Sun
A Wavy Lake 
The Clouds
Friday was a cold day although I did get in a good, long paddle early.  Much of the afternoon and evening we had snow flurries, although none stuck.  After our morning coffee and finishing up the blog, I decided to get some dirt and millings at Tri James.  I used the millings, ground-up asphalt to fill some potholes in our drive and the dirt to cover some of the grass seed where we kept our dock pieces over the winter.  I then gave my car a quick wash, filthy from the dust from Tri James as well as the robins, who tend to target our cars.  I also go my boat ready, making sure it was docked properly, taking out life jackets, things like that.  By the time I finished, it was noon, time for lunch and it had already started to snow, mostly flurries, but Evie was excited.  I also called my buddy, Ron, to see how they are doing at Lighthouse Point.  Both are hanging in there, like us, looking forward to meals and watching lots of series on TV. We are both lucky boys to have wives that are great cooks,

Scaring Off The Crows

Bald Eagle Among The Harassing Crows
Don't Bother Me
Lunch was lentil soup and the last of the scalloped potatoes and ham.  I watched another episode of Fauda and started a new book, THE SPLENDID AND THE VILE by Erik Larson, having finished THE CHESTNUT MAN.  I took a good nap, again, having gotten up way too early in the morning, seemingly my routine lately.  While I was napping, Evie put together our dinner, turkey and zucchini koftes with green onion and sumac, with a sour cream and sumac sauce.  It's from a cookbook we have recently been enjoying call JERUSALEM, by Yotam Ottolenghi, a chef well known in Great Britain as well as the Middle East.  Because it was cold and snowing most of the afternoon, we did not get much done, having dinner already prepped.  I did get in some yoga, practicing on my own and talked with my daughter, Beth, about a book with both read and loved, AMERICAN DIRT. We both highly recommend it.

Windy With Snow Flurries
We had an early wine time, not being able to wait until 5:00, the witching hour.  We watched it snow, tried to cover our lilacs with a sheet to no avail until it was time to brown the koftes, then bake them in the oven for 15 minutes.  Evie served the koftes (egg-shaped burgers) over toasted pita bread, covered with the sour cream and sumac sauce.  It was a delightful, tasty dinner, one we will surely make again and we had enough leftover for tonight's dinner if we like.  We watched Colbert, then two episodes of the new season of Working Moms on Netflix.  It was a mistake as we found it ridiculous and boring.  We then returned to the Michael Jordan documentary, The Last Dance, which highlighted the eccentric Dennis Rodman.  It was well done and fun to watch.  We forget how amazing Jordan was as a basketball player, the best ever for sure.  We then watched a couple of Cheers, while munching on a Doubletree chocolate chip cookies.  I am rationing myself to three during the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...