Thursday, May 7, 2020

A Ninety Minute Morning Paddle

6:15
It's 8:40 and I have been back for ten minutes, after a delicious paddle over to Long Point, then Bemus Bay, across to Wells Bay and home. The lake was perfect, calm and windless, the sun filling the lake with its reflection.  I talked at the end of a dock with Dalton, a local lawyer, and friend who lives at the end of Lakeside Drive.  He just returned from spending a couple of months in the Florida Keys and is happy to be back. 

Kayak Morning
Paddling Toward Long Point
Bemus Point Bridge

Woodlawn And Victoria
Yesterday was a busy day despite the lockdown, the quarantine. I got in my paddle, wrote the blog, had breakfast but then it was time to go over the Wegman's list a couple of times to make sure we have everything we need for the next ten days.  Evie had lots of time because she finished up the Shutterfly book and sent it on its way on Tuesday.  We left around 11:00 and dropped off Evie and went to Home Depot to pick up more potting soil, cement for our lake wall, and plants,  Both Home Depot and Wegman's were crowded although everyone I saw was wearing a mask.  They just were not staying home.  We left Wegman's with two carts full of food, probably more than we need but it's better to be prepared.  Interestingly, they were out of chicken, a first for the month.

A Wood Duck Menage A Trois
A Bachelor
We were home around 12:30 and surprisingly, it did not take us long to unpack the car and put away the groceries.  We even had room left in the refrigerator.  Lunch was the lentil soup and leftover twice baked potatoes.  Both were tasty and I watched my show but was anxious to get back to the Danish thriller, The Chestnut Man.  After reading, I napped briefly and then joined Evie who was working in the garden.  I felt guilty so I volunteered to help weed and we made good progress, as she weeded and I broke up the soil, getting it ready for compost and topsoil, then flowers. Even though there's nothing in bloom, just mounds of green, it looks nice.

After that, I felt my back needed some work so I followed a half-hour practice of Yoga With Adriene on YouTube.  While I was yoga-ing, Evie was putting together our dinner, a classic, scalloped potatoes with the leftover ham.  I can still remember my Mom making it.  Once that was in the oven and the salad made,  the broccoli ready, we relaxed with a libation until 6:15 when everything was ready. We watched the last two episodes of Deadwater Fell, not exactly a pick me upper, intense and depressing through four episodes, not exactly the kind of series to watch during an epidemic.  So we ended the night with a laugh, again, as Diane attempted to rehabilitate a killer, by having him play the role of Othello, with Diane as his doomed wife, Desdemona.  It did not end well for her.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...