Friday, January 31, 2020

A Morning With Forty Ice Fishermen


7:39
Heading In At 8:30
It's after 8:00 and both of us are up, listening to Morning Joe, on an overcast 29º morning.  It may warm up into the '40s over the weekend, with either some snow or rain on Super Bowl Sunday, as fickle Chautauqua weather moves towards another warming up.

Yesterday was a strange day for me because yoga was canceled.  What to do? Evie certainly didn't want me around all morning so after the blog, breakfast, some cleaning up, organizing drawers, throwing out receipts, things like that, Evie got the bright idea for me to cross country ski Webb's Trail, groomed for snowmobiles but too warm for them right now. 

A Perfect Morning For Cross Country Skiing
So I drove to Mayville, put on my skis and skied on a slight incline to the end for close to a half-hour.  It's actually an old railroad track so it's raised above the ground often 10 to 15 feet.  It was perfect for skiing, a nice, crunchy base and the skiing back, again, a slight downhill went quickly.  I worked up a good sweat and took some photographs of the woods, the trail, covered with snow.

Webb's Trail
When I returned home, I was hungry and Evie volunteered to make me quesadillas but I decided to warm up the soup and have a Turkish breakfast, feta cheese on toast topped with jam.  Yum.   I watched another episode of Tin Star, some of the impeachment hearing, then got ready to drive to Jamestown for teeth cleaning. When I arrived, I found the dentist had gone home sick but the hygienist still was willing to clean my teeth.  We talked during the entire cleaning, mostly about her daughter who plays volleyball at the local junior college. Afterward, I drove to Lakewood, stopped at Aldi's to pick up a few things, the bank to cash a long-overdue check, and ended the day with paying my property tax bill and filling up the trusty old Honda with gas, quite a busy day actually despite not having yoga.

Beers And Pizza At Brazil's With Jim And Barb
We were going out to dinner with neighbors, Barb and Jim, to Brazil's in Jamestown, for a couple of beers and an appetizer, ending the evening at the benefit for our local soup kitchen, St. Susan's Center, which feeds the needy 365 days a year, an amazing organization which exists because of donations and volunteers.  Brazil was busy but not crowded and we, fortunately, found seats at the bar.  We shared a deluxe vegetarian pizza, just right because the soup and dessert at the St. Susan Center was average. 

Brazil's Colorful Beer Menu
We stayed at Brazil's for an hour, went to St Susan's, donated ten dollars when entering, had soup and listened to the music for forty-five minutes before deciding to go home.  The event drew perhaps over a hundred people, all mostly our age, many volunteers.  It's a good cause.

We were home by 8:00, in time to watch, guess what, the impeachment trial, some Cobert and ended the night with another Home Town which, after 15 minutes, we realized we had already watched.  Typical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...