Friday, January 3, 2020

Darkness In The Morning

Kayak Morning

Kayaking North
It's 7:00 and I am sitting here listening to the pundits debate the assassination of an Iranian military commander.  Fox News praised the killing as did many Republicans, the decision by this "decisive" President, seemingly without fear of consequences or lack of planning.  CNN, MSNBC and Democrats were more measured, worried about consequences but acknowledging that Suleimani was a bad guy. Once again, we are a divided country, unable to agree on anything. I can only hope Trump knows what he is doing, that the decision was made in concert with our military leaders. I fear we acted unilaterally, without the consent or support of Congress and our allies, Europe, NATO or Iraq.  We are in this alone and I worry this is a wag the dog scenario by an impeached President.  It's not a relaxing morning here at the lake.  I decided, finally, that the only to assuage my anxiety was to go for a paddle, even if it was drizzling which I did.

Woodlawn

Victoria
Yesterday was a different day, low key, perhaps quotidian, Elizabeth Strout's favorite word.  After the excitement of New Year's Eve, it was good to kick back and not have to be anywhere, do anything.  After breakfast in Bemus,  we decided that we needed some things from Wegman's so I volunteered to go around 11:00.  I stopped for coffee first, then dropped off some returns for Amazon before shopping at a busy Wegmans.  Finally, I stopped downtown Jamestown and renewed my Viking Club membership which expired on the 31st.  As I mentioned before, we are proud members of The Rod and Gun Club, the Viking Club and the Slovenian Club of Gowanda. 

Winter Fishermen
When I returned home, Evie had put together a ham and bean soup for lunches.  It sounded good so I heated up a bowl and she made me a sandwich with salami, lettuce, and tomato, a reward for doing the shopping.  I watched another episode of Peaky Blinders, then finished up my book NIGHT BOAT TO TANGIER before napping for a good hour.  I woke feeling good, ready for bear but decided to relax in our new living room rather than go for a walk. 

Wine Time
We had a fine wine time from 5:00 on, thinking back about our fun the past week or so. Our dinner was one of our go-to meals, marinated salmon, with garlic spinach, rice, and a salad.  It's easy, healthy and tasty.  We ended up watching three more episodes of HBO's Watchman, still not thrilled with it but we want to finish it. We are not fans of comic book movies, superheroes, time-traveling all parts of this series. By 10:00, I was ready to go to bed and start a new book, THE TOPEKA SCHOOL by Ben Lerner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...