Tuesday, January 14, 2020

A Quiet Lake Morning


Rockin Out At Shawbucks 

7:32
It's 7:30, a lake like a mirror, not a ripple, just reflections of the trees, some color off to the south. When I walked out to pick the paper, it did not feel like 27º because of the lack of a breeze.  It's 8:30 and I just returned from an amazing morning paddle, the sun rising above the clouds as I paddled south, dodging ice floes,  having to turn around at the reeds because of the ice.  Blue skies and sunshine in January erase the winter blues.

A Beautiful Kayak Morning

Blue Skies And Sunshine
Monday, Monday, the beginning of the week and I started it with a paddle down to Sandy Bottom and back, then finished the blog and drove off to Yin Yoga with Danielle.  It was a surprisingly small class as the winter sets in, all the snowbirds head south and only the locals are around.  I stopped for coffee, of course, talked with the regulars, then drove to Walmart to pick up a few things we needed, a new shower rod since ours collapsed yesterday.

Our House In January
The afternoon went quickly since we were going out that night at 5:00.  Evie seemed to enjoy her leisure for once and didn't do much during the day.  Neither did I other than having lunch, the leftover Asian dinner, nap, read, and watch some TV.  We both showered and were ready to drive to Jamestown at 5:00 with Linda and Ron.  We were going to see our favorite local band, Uncle Ben's Remedy play, along with another local singer, Sean Patrick McGraw.  They were playing at a Jamestown bar, Shawbucks, a venue every couple of months of the Rolling Hills Radio Show.  The show is taped then broadcast on radio and also on YouTube.  We got there an hour early to save seats, then sat at the bar before the show, having a beer and buying a buffet for ten bucks, soup, and rigatoni with sausage, surprisingly tasty.

Because it was being taped for radio, it was introduced by Ken Hardley, a local guitar legend, and Uncle Ben's Remedy and Sean Patrick McGraw, both played a couple of tunes before an intermission, so the patrons could get another beer.  They then played for another half hour, with interludes and the radio part ended.  The show really then began as I did not realize that they knew each other and had collaborated on some songs.

Uncle Ben's Remedy, Sean Patrick Mc Graw and Ken Hardley
So the show really took off and both were amazingly good.  They write their own material and we liked all of their songs and for once, I paid attention to the lyrics.  It's too bad it was so crowded, probably 150 patrons, because the music made us want to get up and dance.  Uncle Ben's is energetic, full of mojo, Sean Patrick a bit more relaxed but when they collaborated, it was great.  I don't think we could have asked for a  better show.

Thanks For A Great Night
Da Boys
We didn't get home till 9:30, in time to watch LSU come back and take the lead on Clemson, led by Athens, Ohio native, Joe Burrows.  We ended up going to bed around 10:30, still jazzed by our evening, hoping we could get to sleep.

A fun poem by one by of my favorite modern poets:  Enjoy

Horseplay
by George Bilgere
I am floating in the public pool, an older guy
who has achieved much, including a mortgage,
two children, and health insurance, including dental.
I have a Premier Rewards Gold Card
from American Express, and my car
is large. I have traveled to Finland.
In addition, I once met Toni Morrison
at a book signing and made some remarks
she found “extremely interesting.” And last month
I was the subject of a local news story
called “Recyclers: Neighbors Who Care.” In short,
I am not someone you would take lightly.
But when I begin to playfully splash my wife,
the teenaged lifeguard raises her megaphone
and calls down from her throne, “No horseplay in the pool,”
and suddenly I am twelve again, a pale worm
at the feet of a blond and suntanned goddess,
and I just wish my mom would come pick me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...