Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Baby, It's Cold Outside

 
Kayaking In The Cold
6:35

7:26

7:33
8:53
It's 7:30 and I have been up since 6:15, watching the dark sky turn gray and now, a tear of blue in the gray sky just appeared.  I am contemplating a paddle except for the 22º temperature outside at the moment and my kayak is covered with snow. Well, I did kayak and it was surprisingly pleasant. I was never really cold except for my hands.


Kayak Morning

Kayaking South
Yesterday was a miserable day here at the lake, with six inches of snow overnight, making travel difficult much of the day.  It took me a good ten minutes to clear the snow and ice off of the Outback before I was able to drive to yoga class.  The roads were cleared but everyone was still slowing down, driving carefully.  The class was crowded for a Tuesday as the weather did not keep the regulars away.  I stopped for coffee and ended up talking with Dave and Steve and Betsy, a biologist and President of the Chautauqua Watershed Conservancy, an important group concerned with the environment.  I was home just after twelve and did some web surfing before having lunch, the last of the leftover chicken, gravy and mashed potatoes.

Evie left for Lakewood around 1:30, to do some shopping, workout and she had a hair appointment at 3:30 so I had the house to myself much of the afternoon.  I read, took a brief nap but by 4:00 I was bored and decided to go for a hike in the snow-covered woods.  It was more work than I thought as the I had to tramp through six inches of snow, usually following deer tracks.  It did feel good to be outside, however, and the woods are always a wonder, this time as the trees were frosted with snow.

Woodlawn

Victoria

Victoria
Evie did not get home until 5:00 and we had hoped to drive to a regional volleyball game a half-hour away but there was a weather advisory for 3-5 inches of snow and icy roads.  And the wind was whipping the snow as we made our decision to stay home.  Of course, this morning I realized it hardly snowed and there would have been no problem driving to the game.  To make up for missing the game, we had a Manhattan and some appetizers, not a bad way to spend the early evening. Dinner was easy as Evie made ham and cheese sandwiches, broiled them in the oven and warmed up her vegetable soup for a quick dinner.  We watched the usual although for some reason, Colbert was not saved.  We ended the night with Succession and neither of us can wait until we are finished with the series.  We wonder, too, why we stick with it.  A good question?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...