Tuesday, November 19, 2019

A Foggy Morning


Bald Eagle
7:30
I was up an hour ago and it's now 7:25, the sun should be up but instead, the lake is blanketed in fog, so dense I can just make out Long Point.  It's a chilly, damp 28º, the driveway, and road still icy. I did get in a half-hour kayak, an interesting paddle, as I observed a baby mouse running around inside my kayak.  I pulled into the shoreline, turned kayak upside down to no avail.  So I looked inside my binocular bag and there he was.  I turned it upside down and he scampered off and I continued on my way.

Kayak Morning
Yesterday was supposed to be an exciting day; we were getting a new carpet.  We woke early, had breakfast, wrote the blog and made sure the house was ready for the carpet layers, moving anything breakable upstairs.  Since we felt we were well prepared, I drove off to yoga at 9:30, a good but crowded session.  I was excited to get home, to see the progress and I was amazed at how far the two guys had gotten, the old carpet out, the pad down and half of the living room's carpet down.  That was the high point.  A half-hour later, the guys realized the measurement for our TV room was off a couple of feet. 




They would have to come back in a couple of weeks to finish that room.  Not a big deal.  A half-hour later, they realized the carpet was flawed, that they could not finish the seams in the living room, meaning a new carpet would have to be ordered and we would not get a new carpet till mid-December most likely.  Evie took it pretty well, no tears and the guys were really great. They left the new carpet down in both rooms although it had no seams. So by 1:00, they were gone and I drove to Hogan's for lunch, a Cuban to assuage our disappointment. 

And that was it for our good moods for the rest of the day. Evie had no mojo, content to veg out and ignore the lousy carpet.  My Cuban was terrible, questionable meat, making it difficult to enjoy.  At least we did not get sick.  I read some, worked a bit on bringing some of our stuff back downstairs, and took a nap. 

Afternoon Kayaking

Spectacular Sky
Around 4:00, I realized the lake was smooth and inviting so I said the heck with the disappointment and I donned my jacket, life jacket and hat, grabbed my paddle and kayaked down to Sandy Bottom and back, spotting another bald eagle above Jim and Tina's home.  I was able to get in a couple of shots of him before he fled.  It seems, also, that most of the waterfowl are skittish because if I get within a couple of hundred yards of any flock, they take off in fear.

More Sky Looking North

Northward Ho

4:34 pm

Long Point
We sat around our living room bemoaning the carpet, with a glass of wine until it was time to make dinner.  Our kitchen is a mess because we had to move so much stuff from the living room and we were too lazy to put it back.  Evie heated up some gravy, meatloaf and Wegman's mashed potatoes and we had a great diner-like dinner, meatloaf and mashed potatoes, covered with gravy, with a salad to keep us healthy.  We watched Colbert, some news, then the first two episodes of the third season of Netflix's The Crown.  So far, so good.  We miss Claire Foy although Olivia Colman, as the older Queen is also outstanding.  I am enjoying my John le Carre novel, quite different from his earlier works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...