Thursday, October 24, 2019

Dock's In

7:12

7:48

9:12
 I woke at 6:15 and got up because I wanted to get the blog done, have my coffee, and read some of the newspapers before driving off for breakfast at 7:45.  It's nice to not be in a hurry, to have a leisurely morning even though I am skipping kayaking, alas.  By the way, we both went to sleep and woke up to the honking of a gaggle of Canadian geese, camped out in shallow waters to the south.

Wednesday was back to normal with a great morning kayaking and then yoga class with Jen, something I really needed.  After class, I stopped for a coffee and struck up a conversation in The Beaten Path Bookstore with the owner, Bob, and Steve, a friend from both yoga and the coffee shop. Because both Steve and I were wearing our jean jackets, de rigueur back in the old days, I had Bob take a photograph.  After coffee, I stopped at TJ's and picked up another pair of running, for me walking, pants to add to my collection.  I can rarely find a pair that is the proper length.  I also stopped at the bank and got gas so I am ready for the weekend.

The Guys In Jean Jackets
When I returned home, a worker from Home Depot was measuring our house for carpet using a neat program on his computer which measures the space, inputs the floor plan on the computer and computes the square feet.  So we are getting closer to buying a new carpet after twenty-three years.  Another carpet guy will be here at 1:00 to do the same thing, but a local carpet store.  Lunch was a couple of tuna sandwiches and I started Season Four of Line Of Duty, still good.  I then relaxed on the couch with a book, fell asleep but woke to the sound of our dock guys and Evie mulching the leaves where the guys will be putting our dock, a sure sign that the warm weather is over.

A Late Afternoon In Autumn
We left at 4:00  for Lakewood Furniture, to hopefully finalize the size and fabric for a new sofa and loveseat.  John was able to work out a price that was amenable to both of us so it looks like we will be going ahead and ordering in the next couple of days after we let our thoughts settle.  We don't want to act peremptorily for something this important.  We could have a new carpet in two to three weeks, a new couch and loveseat by Christmas.  Scary.  When we returned home, the guys were finishing up with our dock and our neighbor's boat lift and it was also time to enjoy a glass of wine, appetizers and enjoy the lake without docks for the first time since mid-April.  Dinner was salmon, with a maple syrup/soy sauce marinade which has become Evie's go-to marinade.  And we had garlic spinach, rice, and salad, to make it a great and healthy dinner.  We watched Colbert of course, listened to the pundits debate the most recent twits from the tweet and ended the evening with another episode of Succession, a bit better than the others.

I thought this poem apropos for all the goings-on in Congress these days, from Thursday's Writer's Almanac. Enjoy.

Sightseeing in the Capital
by Charles Simic
These grand old buildings
With their spacious conference rooms,
Leather-padded doors,
Where they weigh life and death
Without a moment of fear
Of ever being held accountable,
And then withdraw to dine in style
And drink to each other's health
In private clubs and country estates,
While we linger on the sidewalk
Admiring the rows of windows
The evening sun has struck blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...