Thursday, October 17, 2019

Autumn Showers Bring No Flowers

7:22 

7:40

7:51
It's 6:30 and I have been up for a half-hour, sitting in the dark, listening to the wind blow, the rain, three inches the last 24 hours, hit the roof. It's a chilly morning, 43º and it looks like the temperatures will be dropping over the next few days, as Autumn wanes. mIt's such a dreary morning that I have little interest in venturing out although I made it to breakfast with the guys.

Yesterday was wet and increasingly chilly, negating any hope of working outside.  The rain, however, was good for our seeding of various low spots in our yard.  I did make it to a good yoga class for the first time in weeks and it was good to get back in the proverbial saddle once again.  After class, I stopped at Ryder's Cup and ended up talking with a couple of locals for a half-hour. They both grew up in the area and have lots of good stories about growing up in Jamestown.  When I returned home, Evie was glued to the TV, mesmerized by all the distressing news about the Kurds and disgusted by Trump's news conference, madness unchained.  I can only take the news for ten or fifteen minutes before I have to move on.

So I had lunch, Evie's vegetable soup and a quarter of a sub from Wegman's and got lost in my show, the first episode of the third season of Line Of Duty.  I finished Frederick Forsyth's THE FOX and started a John le Carre, A MAN MOST WANTED, set after 9/11 in Hamburg, Germany, home to a number of the terrorists involved in 9/11. As usual, I fell asleep briefly while reading. By then, it was 3:00, so I marshaled up the courage to call Apple once again, in my neverending quest to move my photography from Aperture to Photos.  As of this morning, I have made some progress in the process, I think, but for the next step, I will be calling them once again this afternoon.  I am beginning to have some optimism.

For dinner, we were meeting Ron and Linda and Linda's sister, Janet, at the Viking Club.  We got there around 6:20 and they were already there, sitting at a table in the bar.  The Viking was uncharacteristically quiet, perhaps because of the rain and gray skies. We, of course, ordered beers, then our dinners, and spent the evening catching up with our lives.  What else?  Our meals were average, what we expect when we dine at the Viking Club, making us wonder why we keep coming back. We like the people, the atmosphere, the setting, on Chautauqua Lake.  We basically closed up the place and were home by 8:30.  I was expecting a call from Apple at 9:00 but the wait time for a consultant from Creative Medium would have taken a good half hour so I said forget it and I would call back Thursday afternoon.  We watched the various news programs because this is an off week for Colbert.  We miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...