Tuesday, October 22, 2019

A Windy And Wet Morning


7:19

7:33
I was up at 6:15, to rain and a surprisingly warm 56º.  It's hard getting used to darkness when I wake and having to wait until 7;35 or later for the sun to rise. I better get used to it.  No kayaking this morning because I  have an early appointment with a dermatologist, then picking up a friend after a procedure in Jamestown.  As I was finishing up the blog, gunshots rung across the lake, as the duck hunters must be back, heedless of the weather and darkness,

Yesterday was a busy day for both of us.  Austin, our dock guy and helper, able to do almost anything, arrived at 9:00 and we began working on clearing out the attic of my garage.  He would pull it out, hand it down to me and I would put whatever in one of three piles, junk, save, or give to Helping Hands.  This took us longer than I thought, lots of lumber I don't need, saved for years.  Once it was empty, he took off to Home Depot to get plywood after having measured the attic.  He was back in a half-hour, started measuring and cutting, then nailing and by noon it was done.

Floating Stage
For lunch, Evie made us quesadillas and we sat on the front porch talking about Austin's winters.  He buys a pass for all the ski areas and spends five months snowboarding and traveling around to the best snow.  After lunch, it took us another hour to put back everything I still wanted in an orderly way.  It looks spiffy, better than I could have imagined.  I could sleep up there.  Evie might suggest it.  We then packed his car with all the detritus from the attic, enough so he had to tie it down before driving off to the Ellery dump. It felt good to have this done, another step towards preparing for winter.

Since I missed my show at lunch, I relaxed and watched one more episode.  By the time I was done, Evie had powered up the mower to mulch the leaves.  I didn't feel like sitting around doing nothing so I went out and filled two garbage pails with leaves and twigs and took them up the hill.

Wine Time
By 6:00, we had both showered and were ready to relax with a glass of wine and listen to the news.  Dinner was the leftover chicken paprikash and a salad so Evie did not have to fuss much.  We watched two more episodes of Succession which we will stick with but so far, do not love.  The problem with it, like our last series, is that no one is likable, everyone conniving, stupid, or disgusting.  No superheroes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...