Wednesday, August 21, 2019

More Rain! (And Fifty Four Years!)

6:46
It's 6:00 and I have been up for an hour listening to the rain hit the roof, drip from the gutters, fill the lake, the road, and the yard.  I cannot remember ever having such a wet spring and summer.  Could it be a consequence of climate change or just an aberration?  It's 6:30 as I finish writing the blog and it's still raining, Evie's still sleeping.  I am leaving for Erie at 8:00 for a doctor's appointment at 9:00 and a bike ride around Presque State Park after the appointment. It had, however, stopped raining by 7:00 so I kayaked for a half hour and was rewarded with watching an osprey fly up above me to a tree branch with some carrion in its beak.  Cool beans. 

Kayak Morning

Osprey
Yesterday was a hot, humid, windless miserable day, so bad that it was neither comfortable in or out of the house. Fortunately, when I kayak early, it's always in the '60s or thereabouts and rarely do I work up a sweat.  After breakfast and finishing the blog and Evie had finished her Wegman's shopping list, I drove to yoga for a good beginning class with Julie.  Most everyone was a regular so it's not really a beginners class.  After class, I stopped for coffee, dropped my old Kindle (replaced by a new one) off to be mailed,  bought some gear ties (no one knew what they were, where they were), then shopped on crazy Tuesday at Wegman's.  I did remember to ask for my 5% off so Evie was happy when I returned home. 

Evie had been working in the yard, mostly her garden but was relaxing on the front porch with a glass of ice water, still sweating from weeding.  It was not much fun. I had a lunch of half of sub sandwich from yesterday and some of the tuna/macaroni salad Evie made a few days ago. After lunch and my show, I finished up my book, BLUEBIRD, BLUEBIRD and started a new Robert Crais Joe Pike/Elvis Cole thriller, A DANGEROUS MAN.  This is probably the eighth or ninth book in the series and I liked them all.  I tried to nap with little success and spent most of the afternoon reading or walking in and out of the house, looking for someplace cool.  Evie tried the dock for forty-five minutes but soon returned to the porch to read for the rest of the afternoon.  Neither one of us felt like doing anything of consequence.

We had a brief wine time before gathering up our mojo and beginning our stir fry dinner.  Evie had made it easy, marinating the chicken thighs in soy, garlic and ginger and chopping up the veggies and mushrooms.  I stir fried the chicken, set it aside, oiled the wok again and fried the veggies, added the hot bean sauce, returned he chicken and poured the corn starch and water to thicken the sauce.  When the rice was done, we had a tasty Asian dinner although we used forks, not chopsticks, a sacrilege.  We watched some news, some Chopped and the last three episodes of FLEABAG.  We are both now fans of the series, happy we gave it a third try.  Phoebe Waller-Bridge, the creator and writer, also plays the lead role.  By the final episode, we were in love with Fleabag despite her anger and confusion, pulled in by her need to love and be loved.  It's a funny/sad series and Walker-Bridge as Fleabag is extraordinary, a cinch for an Emmy as Best Actress, the series a good bet for Best Comedy Series. By the way, Waller-Bridge also is the writer for acclaimed British series, KILLING EVE. 

And today is our anniversary; we were married 54 years ago, August 21st, 1965.  Tempus Fugit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...