Friday, August 16, 2019

A Foggy And Wet Morning


My Private Osprey

6:21
I was up just before 6:00, to a dark morning sky, overcast and looking as if it was going to rain.  We did get some showers overnight and maybe more during the day.  It's 63º and there's no indication I might see the sun this morning.  It's just after 8:00 and I returned from kayaking, catching both an osprey and heron with my camera.  After I paddle in, I always take a look at Evie's garden but lately I pay little attention to it because the dahlias are so dominant and striking.  I forget to look at the coneflowers, the hydrangeas, phlox, astilbe, coreopsis, daisies and six feel tall Jerusalem artichokes, also in bloom and colorful.

Fragility
Kayak Morning

Ready To Pounce

Betty Davis Eyes
Yesterday was another typical, routine like day for us.  Not a lot seems to have changed lately as we tend to hang out at our house, no trips, no hikes, just enjoying the good old homestead.  I got in an early paddle, left for breakfast in Bemus at 7:45 and was home to finish up the blog by 9:00.  I went to yoga at 10:00, another crowded Thursday class, then stopped at Lakewood Pharmacy to pick up a poison ivy solution.  Somehow, I picked up poison ivy and I am not sure where or how, a mystery and it's not fun.  Let's hope the solution helps to dry it up.

While I was enjoying a yoga class, Evie was busy as usual, cutting the lawn and doing some cutting of weeds around our dock.  We have the weeds pretty much under control but its always tempting to get back out in the lake and cut more because progress is obvious, a pile of cut weeds on the dock.  And once they dry, I gather them up and take them up the hill to the compost/woodpile.

Because I had a bad night, up around 4:30, after a lunch of a BLT, I just sat around reading, with little if any mojo other than helping out in the kitchen.  We were supposed to meet our neighbors for a picnic at a rest stop overlooking the lake.  We were hoping to see the sunset just as the moon rose but because of cloudy weather, we moved the picnic to our house.  So Evie was making a special fried chicken, marinated in pickle juice, before breading it, then frying the thighs.  She had this done by 4:00 and I was her kitchen clean up person.

John and Maryanne arrived at 6:30, bring three kinds of cheese from Reverie Cheese, the gourmet cheese shop just up the hill from us. We sat out on the porch, wishing we were out picnicking but enjoying drinks, the cheese, nuts, and dates, a smorgasbord of tastes before dinner.  We almost skipped dinner because we were enjoying the appetizers so much but the lure of fried chicken sandwiches, with coleslaw and tomatoes was too much.  So we had dinner and everyone loved the sandwiches, just enough after our cheeses.  For dessert, John and Maryanne had made chocolate chip cookies, a good way to end the evening.  They left around 9:30 and we then did up the dishes, Evie washing, me drying.  It's a nice way to end a fun evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...