Thursday, August 22, 2019

An Overcast Morning


7:05
It's 7:00 and I have been up for an hour.  Because of the overcast morning, I can sit on the front porch, with no sun to blind me as I write my blog.  We had a touch of rain overnight, just enough to wet my rain gauge.  It feels cool sitting out here but it's 67º.  It looks like rain late morning, early afternoon, I just returned from breakfast with the guys and I have to admit, somewhat guiltily, that I skipped a paddle this morning,  just did not feel like it or going to yoga.  Am I a bad boy?

The City Of Erie, PA from Presque Isle State Park


Presque Isle Bay
Yesterday was a busy day or I should say a busy morning.  I got in an early kayak but then drove to Erie for a doctor's appointment.  I got in on time and was out within 15 minutes as the usually talkative doc seemed to want to move on.  I then drove to Presque Isle State Park, a peninsula shooting off of Erie, PA, which has some of the best beaches in the US.

A Typical Presque Isle Beach
I parked, changed clothes, donned my helmet and rode off along the shore of Lake Erie, open water on one side of the peninsula, the town of Erie on the other. Basically, I rode an asphalt path around the entire peninsula.  It's a popular walkway, with people riding bikes, walking, pushing strollers, or skating.  It was a warm day, in the '80s but much of the ride is shaded by trees.  And I could see why residents along the shores of Lake Erie have lost their beaches as the water was practically up to the path.

Oliver Hazard Perry Monument
My goal was to ride out to the tip, where the monument to Oliver Hazard Perry stands, then back to my car.  On the west side are beaches, at least ten of them, with parking at all and some have volleyball courts and concession stands. Visitors can also rent bikes or kayaks so there lots of amateur riders on the trail, recognizable because they are not wearing helmets,

After my ride, I drove around Erie, looking for a good Asian grocery store but could not find one.  I ended up at the Erie CoOp, a neat store and eatery and had a lunch of a wrap with all kinds of  goodies inside.  I was home by 1:30 and Evie was about ready to go out on the dock and enjoy the afternoon, hoping it was cool enough to enjoy the sun.  I was tired from my busy morning and having gotten up before 5:00, so I took a nap, surprise, and felt much better after it.  I joined Evie and it was nice and breezy on the dock.  We stayed out until 5:00.  We had planned on going out for our anniversary but Evie was not feeling well so we decided to put it off and stay home.  We did enjoy a glass of wine, toast our amazing fifty-four years together and celebrated with leftover stir fry for dinner.  It was just as good as the night before.  We watched a series on HBO that we loved called Getting On, set in a geriatric ward in a hospital.  It sounds depressing but it's really a comedy. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...