Thursday, January 10, 2019

Winter Redux

8:12
It's just about 8:00 and I have been up since 6:30, to a wintry morning, a wonderland of white and still falling snow.  We must have received close to ten inches over the past 12 hours and our plow guy has just cleared the road.  I shoveled our parking area four times yesterday but still have 6-8 inches to shovel this morning if I want to get the car out. The lake looks like chunky soup, as it begins to freeze over so there will be no kayaking this morning.

Yesterday began our winter, again, as it snowed on and off all day.  As I mentioned, every time a couple of inches fell, I shoveled.  I decided to skip yoga and go with Evie to Jamestown at 10:30 for her dentist's appointment at 11:00.  I dropped her off just before 11:00 and went to the Labyrinth Press for coffee.  I brought my computer along, so I enjoyed my coffee and surfing the internet as I waited for Evie.  I ran into John, the ower of Lakewood Furniture and we talked about winter escapes.  He's going to Cancun for a week in February. I ordered a burrito to go for lunch, then went back to the dentist's office, waited for ten minutes, and then Evie and I drove to do some shopping at Aldi's.  Evie's beginning to like Aldi's, a cheap version of Trader Joe's,  It does have some good things and most staples are cheaper than Wegman's.  It just takes too much time to go to both, so if we have a choice, we usually go to Wegman's because it has so much more than Aldi's.

We did not get back until 1:00.  So as I shoveled the driveway, Evie heated up some soup and the two of us split the burrito, had soup and watched the first episode of Season 3 of Friday Night Lights on Amazon Prime.  Lots of complications as football season begins and Coach Taylor feels the pressure of another season of state playoff expectations. We then took it easy the rest of the afternoon because our friends, Linda and Ron, called and asked if we wanted to meet them for dinner at Andricaccio's, a restaurant three miles away.  Evie quickly agreed, no doubt liking the idea of not having to think about dinner.  Around 4:00, I went out for the third time and shoveled the parking area before we went out for dinner.

We met our friends at 6:30 and for most of the evening, we were the only patrons crazy enough to go out in the blizzard for dinner.  It was a good thing the restaurant was so close or we might have begged out.  Service was fine, of course, and we enjoyed our dinners, a beer or two, and catching up on all the gossip from the past week.  We are getting pretty good at going out to eat at restaurants that are practically empty this time of the year.  For the past couple of years, we would go to the Seezurh Hosue in Bemus on Thursday's for their steak special and we would be the only ones there.  It's easy to see why it's so hard to run a restaurant in the area.

We were home just before 9:00 and I shoveled one more time under the lights before going in and watching some TV with Evie before bed.  The forecast was for six to eight more inches overnight and for once, the weather guys are correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...